Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camera Battery Dilemma

Real Name
    Jeannie

Camera Battery Dilemma

I ordered 2 SterlingTek batteries for my Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300D. One battery would only charge about 25% and the other one would not charge at all.

When charging the battery, the charger light is supposed to blink every second when the battery is exhausted. When it is 50% charged the light blinks 2x per second, at 75% charge light blinks 3x per second. When a full charge is obtained the light stays on unto the charger is unplugged.

When I charged the SterlingTek batteries the charger light never changed from blinking 1x per second. When I came back and checked on the battery a couple hours later the charger light was off. I tried charging them a couple times each and the same thing happened.

I have a Canon battery and a generic battery made by Digital Concepts. I put them in the charger and they charged up fine. So the charger is working okay and the generic battery charges up fine in the Canon charger.

So....do I have defective batteries or could they not be compatible with the Canon charger?

According to SterlingTek's website, these were the batteries that were compatible with my camera, although there is a slight difference which I will list below. Note: I put the SterlingTek battery in my camera (the one that had a slight charge) and it seemed to work fine.

Here are the specs for the my old batteries and the SterlingTek battery plus the specs of the Canon charger.

Original Canon battery
    BP-511 7.4V 1100mAh (Li-ion)

Digital Concepts battery
    CB-511 1200mAh

SterlingTek battery
    For BP-511A replacement
    Li-ion battery 7.4V 2200mAh

CANON BATTERY CHARGER CB-5L DS8101
    Input: 100V - 240V AC50/60Hz
    22VA (100V) - 30VA (240V)
    Output: 8.4V DC 1.2A

When looking at the battery contacts the Canon, Digital Concepts, and Sterlingtek all look the same.

NOTE: I just noticed on the box that the SterlingTek battery came in, the model number is BP511A. I had actually ordered the BP511. Maybe this is the wrong battery or maybe it isn't compatible with the charger....any suggestions?

I have already contacted SterlingTek and they said to send the batteries back for replacement, but maybe I need to buy their charger? My Canon charger is $60.00 while they sell theirs for $14.00, how good a charger would that be?

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Camera Battery Dilemma

Hello Jeannie, I think you made have gotten a bad set of batteries. I use only SterlingTek batteries and have never had a problem. I charge them using the Canon charger and have found that I have to leave them in the charger for approx. 2 hours to reach full charge. This is well after the light stops blinking and go's to full on. Also, the BP511a is the same as the BP511.

Now, having said all that, I have had the same situation happen where the blinking does not change. I have, in that case, simply taken the batteries out, unplugged the charger, and started all over again. I attest that problem to a simple bad connection/contact. However, seeing as to you are writing on here, I presume you have already tried that and think (as I said before) that you simply got "skunked" with a bad batch.

I would recommend sending them back, but don't lose hope; SterlingTek has been a good company to myself and others in the past, I'm sure they will correct the problem and hopefully (both fingers crossed) you will not have this problem again. Good luck and def. let us know what the final outcome is.

Real Name
    Richard

Call Sterlingtek. The phone number for customer service is on their website. They will send you a prepaid mailing label to send the batteries back to them and will send you a new set of batteries; even before they receive your bad batteries. I have used numerous Sterlingtek batteries both for my 40D and for my 7D and have experienced only one bad battery. Sterlingtek quickly replaced that battery as described above.

Real Name
    Jeannie

Many thanks Chris and Richard

I do know that the best of products can often let "lemons" slip through...just one of those things. I guess what I was wondering is that my Canon charger was not compatible. Chris, I did try to charge both batteries several times using different outlets and even reseating the batteries in the charger, but still no charge. SterlingTek has already emailed me a prepaid label so I will be sending them out Monday morning. A million thanks!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Jeannie, The Canon BP-511A Battery Pack holds about 27% more energy than its predecessor, the Canon BP511 Battery. Otherwise they are identical (same voltage and type) so if your charger works for one it should work for the other with no issues.

Real Name
    Jeannie

Thanks everyone! I'll update when I receive the new batteries.

Real Name
    Richard

Sterlingtek batteries are compatible with Canon chargers and the other way around, Sterlingtek chargers are compatible with Canon batteries. I have both the Canon chargers which came with my cameras as well ast Sterlingtek chargers. I purchased Sterlingtek chargers for my BP-511 (series) and EP-6A batteries because the Sterlingtek chargers are capable of being charged from an automobile electrical outlet. I have only used that capability twice but, really needed it when I used it.

I never look which batteries I am using nor which charger because they are totally compatible.

Real Name
    Jeannie

Thanks Richard, that's really good to know. I sure didn't want to spend $80 for a Canon battery.

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

I use Sterlingtek battery for my 7D.
    I got problem in getting the battery out from my camera. I need to use something to pryed it so that it can release from my camera.
    I compared it and it is exactly the same as the Canon battery.
    and finally, I found out that the metal terminal of the battery are too tight and it catch the camera contact. The spring cannot push the battery out when the battery cover is opened.
    Slightly pry the battery terminal a bit looser and the problem is solved.

satisfied.

Real Name
    Jeannie

Got my new batteries Tuesday night. I accidentally found them on the front porch as I was locking the front door before going to bed...our UPS and FedEX drivers just sling and go. They don't even wait for a signature. I mailed the defectives batteries on Monday so SterlingTek must have sent out the new ones the day I emailed them...not even waiting for the defective batteries to be returned to them. That's excellent service and I plan on using them again. I charged the batteries and they are working great.

Thanks to all