Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: the Shrewd

  1. #1
    Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toscana, Italy
    Posts
    993

    the Shrewd

    during a recent walk in a pinewoods I found these guy, a beautiful fox, not intimidated at all.
    I shot some pictures, before he stopped to tolerate my presence...
    here some crops:
    thanks for viewing

    Nicola

    the Shrewd

    the Shrewd

  2. #2
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,392
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: the Shrewd

    Hi Nicola,

    Unfortunately on both, the (AF?) focus has gone for the whiskers and end of nose rather than the eyes, but they are still a nice record for yourself and interesting for us.

    The wide aperture (f/2.8) has given separation from background, even with only 100mm focal length, but that's obviously not helped with DoF on face. Equally the 1/250s is as slwo as Id' want to go with this subject.

    Of course, I could say, "get down to his level", but that could be risky for you

    Thanks for sharing,

  3. #3
    Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toscana, Italy
    Posts
    993

    Re: the Shrewd

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Nicola,

    Unfortunately on both, the (AF?) focus has gone for the whiskers and end of nose rather than the eyes, but they are still a nice record for yourself and interesting for us.

    The wide aperture (f/2.8) has given separation from background, even with only 100mm focal length, but that's obviously not helped with DoF on face. Equally the 1/250s is as slwo as Id' want to go with this subject.

    Of course, I could say, "get down to his level", but that could be risky for you

    Thanks for sharing,
    thanks Dave
    I know, the Focus point isn't ok, but, as you can imagine, I tried to change the AF point in order to point always on his face, but it was very hard to point on its eye as its movements were very quick!
    and the quite big distance between its nose and eyes didn't help at all! if it was a bulldog perhaps...

    anyway, I started shooting at f/7.1 since it appeared from behind a bush and entered a sunny area (below)

    the Shrewd

    the shutter speed at 1/125 helped me on a sort of panning but the motion blurr on its face is barely accettable

    then he entered in the shadow, so I tried quickly to compensate this loss of light widening the aperture to f/2.8. sincerely, i didn't imagine he would have come so close to me ( a few meters), so the DoF become so tight as visible in the previous post.
    (the DoF depends on aperture and on the distance to the subject, doesn't it?)

    the Shrewd

    Post Scriptum
    fortunately, I hadn't a FF camera.. the DoF would have been even tighter!

    cheers
    Nicola

  4. #4
    Dizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Concrete, WA. USA
    Posts
    686
    Real Name
    Mike

    Re: the Shrewd

    Nicola, I believe that last pic of the Red Fox looking at you is an absolute WINNER! The slight blur to his body and background bokeh focus my eyes right to his well focused face, and although his face could have been just a bit sharper; his posture is superb....awesome image IMO.. the Shrewd

    FWIW, I often hunt down a herd of Elk, and might shoot 50-100 frames, and while all might be in-focus, there are usually only 4 or 5 (or even just 1) that I would consider as very good; the rest are just pictures of Elk. When Colin does model shoots, he often speaks of taking 1000 frames, or more, and I'm sure out of those he picks only the very best to work with.

    See my signature quote for further details...

    Mike

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    12,001

    Re: the Shrewd

    Yes I agree with Mike, that last photo is good. An excellent expression. Possibly a very slight tweak in brightness and saturation, but not a lot.

  6. #6
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,392
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: the Shrewd

    Hi Nicola,

    Got to agree with Mike and Geoff, that last one is a winning shot

    Well done,

  7. #7
    Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toscana, Italy
    Posts
    993

    Re: the Shrewd

    Many thanks Mike!
    I appreciate your comment! you make my face a bit red...
    I usually spend a lot of time to PP my images, I'm still not so able to identify which images are good, which not... I'm here on CiC to learn also that.

  8. #8
    Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toscana, Italy
    Posts
    993

    Re: the Shrewd

    many thanks to Geoff and Dave!!
    below a re-edited version with last your suggestions implemented (LCE on face, saturation and levels)
    better?

    the Shrewd

    desaturated after the last Mike's suggestion! (see below)
    Last edited by Nicola; 16th October 2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: last Mike's suggestion

  9. #9
    Dizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Concrete, WA. USA
    Posts
    686
    Real Name
    Mike

    Re: the Shrewd

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    many thanks to Geoff and Dave!!
    below a re-edited version with last your suggestions implemented (LCE on face, saturation and levels)
    better?
    In all honesty Nicola, no, I liked the original much better than the re-processed image. The added red in the 2nd version minimizes the red highlights in the fox. If you can darken the background while leaving the fox alone, that might bring out the "pop" a bit.

    Mike

  10. #10
    Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toscana, Italy
    Posts
    993

    Re: the Shrewd

    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    In all honesty Nicola, no, I liked the original much better than the re-processed image. The added red in the 2nd version minimizes the red highlights in the fox. If you can darken the background while leaving the fox alone, that might bring out the "pop" a bit.

    Mike
    thanks!!!!!!
    one step back... edited in the previous post
    Last edited by Nicola; 16th October 2011 at 09:13 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •