Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Newhill Farm

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Newhill Farm

It was one of those dank, drab, dull and wet mornings (Hereabouts, 'dreich' is the word we use - defined in one online dictionary source as, "bleak, miserable, dismal, cheerless, dreary"). Just the sort of day I like for photography.

Non-photographically speaking, it's not so good from the point of view that I'm about to go off to the south-west corner of Scotland for 7 days for a bit of a break. But the photographic opportunities will be marvelous.

But this morning, I put on the nifty-fifty. Didn't take a tripod. No other lenses. No filters. And went out to test myself with the challenge to come home with an image. I often viewed this shot and felt there was an image to be made of it. It felt right this morning.

Your comments are always welcomed.

Newhill Farm
    40D, 50mm f1.8 (Nifty-Fifty). ISO100. 1/180@f5.6

EDIT - I would add I was mighty impressed with the quality I was getting out of the nifty-fifty on this. Tack sharp.
    Last edited by Donald; 13th October 2011 at 08:32 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Newhill Farm

I find B&W so evocative- it often makes me ache just a little, and I usually dont know why. In an image like this, I would struggle with how much of the sky to leave in or crop- any guidelines?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    In an image like this, I would struggle with how much of the sky to leave in or crop- any guidelines?
    Kevin

For me it's about what 'feels right'. I know there are those who get very technical about it, but I don't think you can better the 'gut feeling' test.

Of course we all know the 'rules' - Rule of Thirds etc. And it is important to know these ideas and to use them. Not using them should be a conscious decision, not a matter of accident.

On this one you see that the top of the roof of the shed and the stack of bales on the right are on the bottom 'third' and, indeed, the bales are on the bottom right intersection. I suppose the horizon just sort of fell into place from there.

Now to the question of how much at the top. Well, you've maybe seen a few of my recent images and noticed that all of them are square. I'm into that at the moment. This one could have been made as 4:5 ratio. And that would have put more sky on top. But, at the moment, I like square.

The other question is that I could have moved the crop up and had less at the bottom and more sky at the top. I shot it to look like it does. But, just to check, during pre-post processing, I moved the crop up, so that the sheds etc were much lower down and there was more sky. But it just didn't feel right. The balance wasn't right.

So, I hope this ramble has given you an insight into one person's thought processes (frightening things) when making a decision about 'how much sky'.
    Last edited by Donald; 13th October 2011 at 01:05 PM.

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Donald, that is a really nice shot. As kevin says, very evocative.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks, Donald. Ramble on... it's a cold drnk to my parched throat

Real Name
    Richard

Donald, I really like this image. Usually, I don't like including a vast area of sky unbroken by clouds but, in this case, I think that it works very well and increases the feeling of bleakness (if there is such a word - if not I just invented it!) that adds to the detail of the farm.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Picture-perfect in my book! (And I'm not even into 1:1)

Real Name
    Wendy

Soooooo, nice.

I see scenes like this all the time but I can never get the composition right. You can keep studying Ansel Adams, but for my part I think I'll keep studying your shots. The scenery is very similar in my part of the world, but for me it is really not very easy to figure out how to bring all the elements together and end up with such a nicely balanced image with regards to tones, lines and composition, and all the technical stuff.

I'll keep studying!!! There is one farm in particular that every time I drive by, I wonder what would Donald do with this. I've taken a few quick shots from the road, but there are so many outbuildings and lines of trees and fields and fences and lanes, that I have not been able to bring it all together. One of these days

Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks Wendy .... and everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    You can keep studying Ansel Adams, .....
    'Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs' is already packed for the holiday/vacation referred to above. It comes with me whenever I know I'm going to get some quiet 'me' time to just sit and study. I think I'm beginning to understand most of the 40. And every time you look there is more to discover.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Very nice...fog and black and white work well together here. Reminds me of my roots.

Chuck

Real Name
    Chris

Never known a nifty fifty not to be tack sharp...and this is no exception... I like the way the three sheep create a nice triangle that leads the eye around each quadrant section. Good compositional skills.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Magic shot which passes the test you set for yourself with flying black and whites ( well,it wasn't posted in colour, was it?)
    There is so much of interest in the frame which is nicely interlinked by fence and stacked feed bale line angles which lead the eye on a path of discovery. A great 'story' being told here. A picture which for me could not be assessed and dismissed with a quick eye scan but demanded, and got, slow perusal.
    In any discussion on how much to crop or not to crop this would be my prime example to clearly illustrate my belief that often too many folk crop too tightly and totally " lose the over all story and kill the impact' in what probably drew their attention in the first place and which could have been a most engaging picture.
    A wonderful panorama, full of interest. Thank you for sharing.
    old ucci