Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Turbulent waters - troubled times

rob marshall

Turbulent waters - troubled times

So, how is the double-dip affecting you?

Turbulent waters - troubled times

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Turbulent waters - troubled times

Hi Rob

This is an intriguing shot, I can't quite make out what the shooting conditions were. Some sort of cave perhaps ? Interesting effect of lighting on the water which has a stringy look to it. What settings did you use ?

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Steve

With some cropping at the bottom it looks more like snow white hair than water.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Hi Rob

This is an intriguing shot, I can't quite make out what the shooting conditions were. Some sort of cave perhaps ? Interesting effect of lighting on the water which has a stringy look to it. What settings did you use ?

Cheers Dave
    Dave

Here is the EXIF http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregw...n/photostream/

and here is the location (you can zoom out) http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=50.63972807833467~-4.112197157975386&lvl=13&dir=0&sty=s&cid=524D7547C 805D849!131&eo=0&where1=Chagford%2C%20Devon&form=L MLTCC

The location is Lydford Gorge in Devon, and it's great for photography. It's a Victorian waterfall tourist spot, which has some rather spectacular falls on a circuit walk. For this shot (a narrow gorge with the water forced through) I wanted a long exposure to freeze the water. But I didn't have a tripod with me, so I had to hand-hold it at 0.6sec. I placed the camera on a railing that overlooked the water (with my neck strap on) and just held it firmly while it exposed. I was deliberately going for a surreal look. Maybe I was thinking of Sherlock Holmes and his death at the Reichenbach Falls.