Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Opinion on Black and White.

Real Name
    Celso Bressan

Opinion on Black and White.

Hi:

I produced this BW image that I feel to be passable as I think I could get more contrast or more depth.

In your opinion, is it possible to get more out of it?

Thanks.

Bressan

rob marshall

Re: Opinion on Black and White.

Celso

The central part of the shot is quite good, with a good deal of contrast, although there does seem to me to be too much black in the overall shot. How did you do the conversion?

I find the composition a little unstructured with too much detail and not enough locus-focus to take my eye to s specific spot initially. I know you didn't ask for views on that but I find with a BW shot that the composition structure of the shot is very important in making more of the BW effect. That's because colour, apart from looking pretty, also gives structure and depth to a shot, and if you are working in BW you need more structure than you would with a colour shot.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

In terms of tones, you have a good range, although it looks as if it could take a little more sharpening. I do find that I'm struggling to find a main point of interest, where it is so busy.

Real Name
    Celso Bressan

Hi, guys:

Your opinions made me consider that it is a bit busy but I tried to create some lines of flow. I agree that the background is quite distracting.

I also noticed that it lacks a bit of contrast. I will try to improve it, if I would be able to do it.

On the other hand, I obviously took this picture in colors and then converted using PS5 and fiddling with the controls. Basically, I applied the false infrared selection and then played slightly here and there.

Do you suggest other attempts?

Thanks for your comments.

Bressan

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Celso Bressan View Post
    Do you suggest other attempts?
    Always! But if you are just trying out BW methods, I'd go for a simpler subject. You can still have something with good structure, but it can also show the range of BW tones. Like this one, of mine http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregw...8551/lightbox/

Real Name
    Steve

Hi there,

Given the composition, it's very difficult to further isolate your subject from the background. There are so many branches "scattered" behind it, not blurred or black enough to give the sense of depth and by increasing the overall contrast, black and mid tone bands were formed there. I have the very same problem in this picture and I am too lazy to painstakingly select the tree, increase the contrast only there and blur/subdue the rest:

Real Name
    Celso Bressan

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Always! But if you are just trying out BW methods, I'd go for a simpler subject. You can still have something with good structure, but it can also show the range of BW tones. Like this one, of mine http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregw...8551/lightbox/
    I checked your pictures and what I learned was, among many things, the cleanliness of them. The subjects are always simple and seldom the background and/or foreground are complicated.

Indeed, my picture is full of details that distract the attention from the main subject.

Next time, I go there, I will use a shallower depth of field and faster speed in order to only capture the light in foreground.

Now, as per the complicated foreground itself, it seems to bring some idea of flow which seems to simplify a bit the whole composition.

Am I going to the right direction?

Thanks.

Bressan

Real Name
    Celso Bressan

Quote Originally Posted by stg View Post
    Hi there,

Given the composition, it's very difficult to further isolate your subject from the background. There are so many branches "scattered" behind it, not blurred or black enough to give the sense of depth and by increasing the overall contrast, black and mid tone bands were formed there. I have the very same problem in this picture and I am too lazy to painstakingly select the tree, increase the contrast only there and blur/subdue the rest:

In this case, isn't it better to take another picture with a different light condition, for instance, the Sun only the foreground tree? Or, using flash?

Bressan

Real Name
    Chris Andrews

Played with it in topaz detail

Real Name
    Celso Bressan

Thanks, Chris!

I have Topaz Adjust and didn't think about using it!

Much better now!

Cheers.

Bressan

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Celso Bressan View Post
    I checked your pictures and what I learned was, among many things, the cleanliness of them. The subjects are always simple and seldom the background and/or foreground are complicated.

Indeed, my picture is full of details that distract the attention from the main subject.

Next time, I go there, I will use a shallower depth of field and faster speed in order to only capture the light in foreground.

Now, as per the complicated foreground itself, it seems to bring some idea of flow which seems to simplify a bit the whole composition.

Am I going to the right direction?

Thanks.

Bressan
    I always try to go for simplicity. Isolate the subject, but have some context setting as appropriate, but not too much. Landscapes are more tricky as there is often a lot of detail that is hard to avoid. But as you just said, using a shallow DOF helps isolate unwanted excessive detail - it also gives a faster shutter speed. But if you think about it, when you view a landscape (without a camera) there is often a single object that draws your attention, at least initially.

Real Name
    Celso Bressan

I combined the Topaz suggestion (actually, I used the Spicify) with some layers on PS5.

I think it is much better now!

Thanks for suggestions to all. I learned a lot!

Bressan