Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: McCloud

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

McCloud

I've been busy and out of touch for a while. I'm up in Northern California visiting some galleries that carry my prints. I had a potential client ask me if I had any photos of the town of McCloud so, since I was up here and have photographs in a gallery in McCloud I shot up the town and ended up adding a "McCloud" gallery to my website. The images below are from the town. It's a neat town with a lot of history in a beautiful setting. The mountain in the background is Mount Shasta. I actually made three visits to the town which is about 45 miles from where we are staying. It was raining the first day...at least after the snow stopped but I got some sun on the next two days. I ended up shooting a lot of HDR in order to get some detail out of clouds and to accommodate the contrast between buildings and trees and bright snow on the mountain.

I hope you can see why I love to visit that town.

Chuck

McCloud

McCloud

McCloud

McCloud

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: McCloud

Hi Chuck,

Just wondering what you've done by way of perspective control on these? Some look like they should have a bit of perspective distortion, but don't, whereas there is a little bit in one of the images -- just wondering if you shot any of these with a tilt & shift lens?

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Hi Colin:

I didn't try to correct wide-angle distortion. Most were shot with 28-105mm lens on a full frame camera. Some shots were at or close to the 28mm end.

Chuck

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    Hi Colin:

I didn't try to correct wide-angle distortion. Most were shot with 28-105mm lens on a full frame camera. Some shots were at or close to the 28mm end.

Chuck
    Hi Chuck,

Thanks for that. Darn ... I was looking for an excuse to buy either a TS-E 17mm or TS-E 24mm II !

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Go ahead Colin....go for it!

Actually, I'm quite happy with the 24-105 L lens on the 5D MK II. I can get into places I couldn't before with the smaller image sensors. The 5D is blowing my socks off in terms of low noise and high resolution. I can do a major crop and still have lots of room for enlargement. But then I believe you have and even better Canon so I'm not telling you anything.

Chuck

Real Name

Actually, I'm quite happy with the 24-105 L lens on the 5D MK II. I can get into places I couldn't before with the smaller image sensors. The 5D is blowing my socks off in terms of low noise and high resolution. I can do a major crop and still have lots of room for enlargement. But then I believe you have and even better Canon so I'm not telling you anything.

Chuck
    Hi Chuck,

5D2 and 1Ds3 are pretty much idential resolution wise - and I suspect image quality wise too. Comes in handy at crop time - sometimes you can even crop away 2/3 of an image to turn a horizontal into a vertical - and STILL get away with a fairly large print. Particularly handy when shooting for canvas as a little bit of the composition has to be left for the portions of the image that get wrapped around the edge of the frame - far easier to err on the side of caution - leave a bit more - and crop it back without fear during PP.

Real Name

Just called my dealer - do you realise that you could just have cost me $3500 you B*****d?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Just called my dealer - do you realise that you could just have cost me $3500 you B*****d?
    Whew - probably not available for another 3 to 4 months in this part of the world!

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Time to start a "kitty."