Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A study: The character of the Face

Real Name
    Ric

A study: The character of the Face

Hello Chaps, been busy of late running around at work and trying to find the time to do some shooting

This is abit of work I have been working on of late. I was always a fan of some of the early time magazine b&w photos, showing real detail and character. and trying to learn the art of portrait photography I thought this would make for a great learning curve for me.

this is not a flattering or glamor style of photography by any stretch but... gah I will let the photos do the talking

Real Name
    Ric

Re: A study: The character of the Face

Photo of a fellow work mate, please note the reflection of the shadow is from him, as the photo was taken with very harsh sunlight from behind

Real Name
    Ric

Ex ww2 service man at a fine age of 93 , love this photo, again harsh light coming from behind, I shot lower on this chap as his shirt etc tells a story also

Real Name
    Ric

I had a fantastic day with this mob, and been lucky enough to capture what I did. I did abit of arty farty de sat with some of the photos, but you will see why.

the lady in the last photo runs a school for people with disabilities. she is such a fantastic and gentle person!

Real Name
    Bob

I like them all. To me each one seems to tell a story.
    Thanks for sharing, Bob

Real Name
    Marcus

Hi Ric,

I'm impressed - very nice work! All your pictures convince by emphaty. Difficult to say which I like most - however, the refecltions in the sunglasses in the first one, perfect. The third and forth with the masks - great idea! But most relevant - they all tell a picture when looking at. Well done!

Real Name
    Ric

Marcus and Bodi, thanks for taking the time to view and critique and also the kind words. I tell you it was quite nice shooting these chaps and lass's again alot of fun

Real Name
    Joe

Very impressive Ric. The guy with the glasses is my favorite. Would be cool if he was doing a peace sign and the reflection showed it. All the people in your mask photos look happy and loved. The lady who runs the school must be an angel! Thanks for sharing these wonderful and special photos.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Ric,

If you need any of these printed on canvas, I can help!

Real Name
    Ric

Joe thanks abunch for your kind words. its nice to get critque. if its good or bad. its something we can learn from per-say

Col also mate, thanks for reminding me on the canvas. I will have to head over sometime and get some quotes and advice from you in regards to printing mediums

I do have more to add to this thread, I might keep updating it over time if thats ok with you chaps, as a study thing for myself and for others to watch.. + saves me brewing up a bunch of B/W threads

Regards

-R

Real Name
    Richard

I really like portraits of this type. You have captured the character of the faces. However, I am not too keen in selective coloring in general and in the cases of the colored masks, IMO they attract too much attention from the face behind the mask...

Real Name
    Brian

I love the contrast, exposure, and sharpness of the first one. There is a 'coolness' about it.
    The 5th one makes me smile - I'm sure a wonderful capture of this guy's personality
    I wonder if the DOF is just slightly shallow compared to your intent? This is not a criticism, I like it just fine, just curious.
    Thank you for posting!