Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Battery Grip Repair

Real Name
    Andrew

Battery Grip Repair

Hello. A friend of mine was kind enough to give me an old battery grip today that I can use on a second body I picked up not too long ago. Unfortunately, the reason he 'gave' it to me is because it was dropped some time ago, and the shutter release button no longer works. Every other function of the grip works great, just not the most important one.

Long story short, do you think it's worth repairing? Is it even repairable? I'm pretty handy myself, and I have nothing to lose, is it something that I could take apart myself and have a look?

Let me know what you think!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Battery Grip Repair

Andrew

I haven't got a clue what it would look like once you opened up the box. But if you feel like giving it a go and you've got nothing to lose, then why not?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Andrew, like Donald says, you've got nothing to loose and you may be able to get it to work.

I think I would first do my homework on the internet looking for repair threads, parts pictures, anything that would improve my chances of success.

I would also want to see if a cost to repair estimate was within reason.

I have often contacted the manufacturer of everything from lighting fixtures to BBQ grills to vacuum cleaners to kitchen faucets and in most cases, the manufacturer has sent me replacements or replacement parts for free.
    Battery Grip Repair

Real Name
    Richard

You might Google "battery grip repair" or Google a more specific set of parameters for your grip. I did a quick look and got a bunch of hits on the general parameters of "battery grip repair". However, I did not delve into any of the hits to see if they contained any useful information.

You can't lose by trying however, if it is a third party grip - it probably isn't worth spending any money on it to repair since third party grips are so inexpensive.

If however it is an OEM grip, the manufacturer might quote you a price for repair work and then it would be up to you to decide if the cost is worthwhile...

Real Name
    Marius

If you have the correct tools and are fairly DIY orientated then give it a try. For example my EB-8G seems to be "workable" as their are removable covers on the "camera" side of it.

Keep us informed with a picture.
    Last edited by Marius in Afrika; 10th October 2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling

Real Name
    Andrew

No luck. They are actually quite simple in design, I was able to disassemble the whole thing - they're only held together with a handful of VERY tiny Phillip's head screws. But as handy as I may be, I'm not an electronics technician. There was nothing physically wrong with any of the working parts, so I'm assuming it must be a board issue. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Thanks for the advice everyone!