Kayla @ the Park

Kayla @ the Park

Kayla @ the Park

Kayla @ the Park

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Re: Kayla @ the Park

Colin - #2 is my favorite. Might have preferred a more squarish crop with her on the right hand vertical line. Just lovely, lovely, lovely.

Marie

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Wonderful set Collin, and yes, #2 is also my fav. <3 Bokeh!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Seems that we're all heading towards #2 in this set as the one that stands out for us. But I suspect if that one was not included, we'd all say that one of the others was our favourite. So, it's not a case of #2 = good; the rest = not good.

I think I remember you saying that you don't control the shoot to the extent of telling the model what to wear. That shoulderless little number, just doesn't do anything for her. And is she even a bit uncomfortable wearing it?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Hass View Post
    Colin - #2 is my favorite. Might have preferred a more squarish crop with her on the right hand vertical line. Just lovely, lovely, lovely.

Marie
    Thanks Marie,

I think that the hair tones blanding well with the background tones are what makes it work. Not sure about the crop though (I don't think it's cropped at all, or perhpas only slightly); regardless, at this stage I'm trying to keep them all 1:1.5 until the customer desides if she wants something different (will be printed for a portfolio).

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Crovean View Post
    Wonderful set Collin, and yes, #2 is also my fav. <3 Bokeh!
    Thanks Chriss,

Most were shot at F2.8 or F4; great when it works, but also quite a few where one eye is sharp and the other a bit soft.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Seems that we're all heading towards #2 in this set as the one that stands out for us. But I suspect if that one was not included, we'd all say that one of the others was our favourite. So, it's not a case of #2 = good; the rest = not good.

I think I remember you saying that you don't control the shoot to the extent of telling the model what to wear. That shoulderless little number, just doesn't do anything for her. And is she even a bit uncomfortable wearing it?
    Thanks Donald,

Customer choose the clothing and took care of the makeup (still too much foundation, sigh ). Personally I thought the dress looked nice on her though, albeit with it's colour being pretty much the direct opposite to green, it was guaranteed to contrast! I think she was comfortable enough in the dress, but isn't very comfortable assuming poses (something that affects a lot of models to a greater or lesser degree). I was giving her a bit more direction than usual -- we kinda got there in the end though

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Colin another great set. I agree #2 is for me. I have spotted something distracting in number 5 for me anyway is the strings hanging down behind her.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Smith View Post
    Colin another great set. I agree #2 is for me. I have spotted something distracting in number 5 for me anyway is the strings hanging down behind her.
    Hi Sam,

Thanks for the kind words. I did have a quick go at deleting the strings at the back, but it was hard to do a good job on the high-resolution originals. I tried a few simple approaches and then decided that they didn't bother me that much after all!

Real Name
    Remco

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Thanks Donald,

Customer choose the clothing and took care of the makeup (still too much foundation, sigh ). ...
    I'd say too little foundation: for me there seems to be a difference in colour between the face and the shoulders, with the face (and neck) having a bit more yellow/orange tint than the rest of the skin.

Oh well, gives you an excuse if the skin tones are off

Remco

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by revi View Post
    I'd say too little foundation: for me there seems to be a difference in colour between the face and the shoulders, with the face (and neck) having a bit more yellow/orange tint than the rest of the skin.

Oh well, gives you an excuse if the skin tones are off

Remco
    Hi Remco,

The problem is that once one get's "up close and personal", it's easy to see that it just doesn't match the skin tones (kinda like "close, but not close enough") - and by the end of the day, it's looking pretty "rough". I keep maintaining that they just don't need it at their age. It seems to be a recurring theme with the young folks unfortunately.

Real Name
    Remco

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Remco,

The problem is that once one get's "up close and personal", it's easy to see that it just doesn't match the skin tones (kinda like "close, but not close enough") - and by the end of the day, it's looking pretty "rough". I keep maintaining that they just don't need it at their age. It seems to be a recurring theme with the young folks unfortunately.
    That's what I tried to say, you get texture differences (and often colour differences), between 'treated' and 'un-treated' skin, even when you're not close enough to get personal (seen it often enough with the dancers as well: they apply make-up to the face, but forget that neck and shoulders are going to be visible on stage as well... 'Nice' mask effects you can get that way

Actually, I really saw the problem in the last 2nd series you posted, where there are closer close-ups (emm, that could be phrased better probably...). Not nice, that gritty texture...

Otherwise, superbe work as usual, and I suppose another happy customer

Remco

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by revi View Post
    That's what I tried to say, you get texture differences (and often colour differences), between 'treated' and 'un-treated' skin, even when you're not close enough to get personal (seen it often enough with the dancers as well: they apply make-up to the face, but forget that neck and shoulders are going to be visible on stage as well... 'Nice' mask effects you can get that way

Actually, I really saw the problem in the last 2nd series you posted, where there are closer close-ups (emm, that could be phrased better probably...). Not nice, that gritty texture...

Otherwise, superbe work as usual, and I suppose another happy customer

Remco
    Hi Remco,

Personally, I think I'd rather have it 100% "untreated" with folks this age. Who knows (I'm not a makeup expert), but what they all tend to use looks more like a layer of plaster on concrete in that is smooths things out, but at the same time, it's "different to what's underneath" (to my eye, very fake looking). Personally, I prefer natural looking over fake looking.