Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Liliums in wide angle and HDR

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Liliums in wide angle and HDR

Thought I would try out my wide angle. These are Liliums taken with a Canon 1000D and a canon EFS 10-22mm lens and HDR using 3 exposures( 0, +1AEB and -!AEB), with speed setting at 1/200, ISO 100 and processed in photoshop. Tripod used.
    Thanks for viewing and any comments
    old ucci

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Liliums in wide angle and HDR

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Thought I would try out my wide angle. These are Liliums taken with a Canon 1000D and a canon EFS 10-22mm lens and HDR using 3 exposures( 0, +1AEB and -!AEB), with speed setting at 1/200, ISO 100 and processed in photoshop. Tripod used.
    Thanks for viewing and any comments
    old ucci

It is an interesting shot Ken, although I am not sure the lie of the background land helps, looks sloping, but knowing your locale from earlier pics, I suspect that's a genuine hill

I do wonder why you think it needs "HDR" though?
    I don't see the ultra tone mapped effect here, which is good.
    However, I also don't see any light sources in shot, so if the scene is purely reflected light, why go to all that trouble? Why not just expose it so as not to blow the red and green channels on the petals, and bring up the shadow detail with fill light control?
    I think the black point could do with raising a little, there's a gap on the left of the histogram.

The focus and depth of field is just perfect though and its sharp and artefact free - good work, I like it (not that that matters much)

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Re: Liliums in wide angle and HDR

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    It is an interesting shot Ken, although I am not sure the lie of the background land helps, looks sloping, but knowing your locale from earlier pics, I suspect that's a genuine hill

I do wonder why you think it needs "HDR" though?
    Thank you very much for helpful advice Dave. Two things. I am trying to learn how to use HDR effectively so that its use is not obvious in the end result. And I am trying to minimize the need to use PS to 'improve ' the end result. Trying to get as much done up front and minimize the need for pp-ing after the event.
    Yes you are right in your astute observation. The back drop was a steep slope. And did I really need to use HDR? Probably not. But using it is helps me to increase my competence with using the camera's settings. And of course probably I was trying to be a smart a*se clever dicky.
    Where you are in error is in the fact that your opinion does matter considerably, to me at any rate. So what you say is important!
    Cheers
    old ucci