Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Out to pasture...

Real Name
    Cindy

Out to pasture...added photo for C&C

Living in the prairies, you see a lot of old farm equipment left to the elements. Any comments or critism is greatly appreciated.

Out to pasture...
    Last edited by baillie117; 11th October 2011 at 02:49 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Out to pasture...

The old time look of the image works well with the old tractor...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by baillie117 View Post
    Living in the prairies, you see a lot of old farm equipment left to the elements.
    That would be absolutely wonderful. I'd love that.

On this one - Because the tractor is oriented left-to-right, I wonder if there should maybe have been more space at the right (in front of the tractor) than at the left (behind it)? I think it might have led to a more balanced composition.
    Last edited by Donald; 9th October 2011 at 06:49 AM.

My first thoughts were exactly the same as Donald.

But in addition, I would ideally like to see just a little more space at the bottom and less at the top. A simple alternatively with this shot would be a slightly tighter crop which would, to some extent, achieve a better background space to subject balance. And would remove that out of focus area on the left.

Incidentally, that is a very interesting tractor with extra wide 'spade lug' wheels which is something that I haven't encountered previously. Is there some soft ground there which requires greater grip?

Where I live, in the UK, any old farm machinery is quickly purchased by vintage machinery enthusiasts and fully restored.

Real Name
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That would be absolutely wonderful. I'd love that.

On this one - Because the tractor is oriented left-to-right, I wonder if there should maybe have been more space at the right (in front of the tractor) than at the left (behind it)? I think it might have led to a more balanced composition.
    Sorry to take so long to get back, Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. I know the rule is usually to leave leading space according to the orientation of the subject. When I originally took the picture, my thoughts were to be able to see the other old tractors in the background while bringing the primary focus to the tractor in front. So in post processing I blurred the background as part of the workflow. Perhaps not the best choice. Would you give me some ideas on what you might have done to make the original more appealing? Thank you for any and all advice.

Out to pasture...

Real Name
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    My first thoughts were exactly the same as Donald.

But in addition, I would ideally like to see just a little more space at the bottom and less at the top. A simple alternatively with this shot would be a slightly tighter crop which would, to some extent, achieve a better background space to subject balance. And would remove that out of focus area on the left.

Incidentally, that is a very interesting tractor with extra wide 'spade lug' wheels which is something that I haven't encountered previously. Is there some soft ground there which requires greater grip?

Where I live, in the UK, any old farm machinery is quickly purchased by vintage machinery enthusiasts and fully restored.
    I'm sorry I can't tell you about the tractor. The ground can be quite wet here in the spring after the snow melts and if the spring rains are heavier than normal. Actually this year we have standing water where there has been none due to the amount of rain we've gotten. Here in the prairies, there seems to be an abundance of old tractors and combines.

I included the original photo in the reply to Donald so if you have any suggestions, I would love to get your take on it. Thanks so much.

Real Name
    Cindy

Here is another photo taken the same day. C&C, post processing suggestions, composition advice is greatly welcomed.

Out to pasture...

Real Name
    Bobo

I think the all look great as is.

Real Name
    Mark

Love the old time Sepia version!!

Real Name
    Steve

Although you blurred unnaturally (*around* your theme and not depth-wise), I like this image very much. Lack of color "transports" this tractor back to the time when it was functional and useful to its owner. On the other hand, as I understand it, this is a cemetery of old agriculture machinery, so a composition that invests on this idea might give you a more interesting and emotionally moving photograph. Just a thought.

Real Name
    Paul

I like the Sepia version best myself. The age of machinery just beggs for it.

If you get wet muddy conditions in the Spring that may well explain the tractor wheel design. Incidentally, note the different spacing of the lugs which gets wider towards the outer edge.

Personally, I would leave the background machinery without blur but still crop the left side a little to just show 2 tractors in the background, and a corresponding amount from the top. This would reduce the background complication a little but still show that there are other tractors in the area.

Sepia is often used for these rusty old machines but to be strictly correct, black and white is more typical of the 1930s when the tractors were new.

With regard to the second shot. I find that there is too much conflicting interest on both sides. The tractor on the left and the disappearing fence line on the right.

I would try a little tighter crop on the right so that the fence just finishes at the right side and the outer part of the hedge is lost. With a corresponding amount from the top.

I think this would concentrate the view more towards the tractor.

Possibly shooting from a lower angle may have helped as that would give a little more 'rise' to the fence angle and be looking more directly at the tractor instead of apparently looking slightly downwards.

But that would mean finding another suitable position between the barbed wire strands which might not be practicable.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I know the rule is usually to leave leading space according to the orientation of the subject. When I originally took the picture, my thoughts were to be able to see the other old tractors in the background while bringing the primary focus to the tractor in front. So in post processing I blurred the background as part of the workflow. Perhaps not the best choice. Would you give me some ideas on what you might have done to make the original more appealing? Thank you for any and all advice.

Out to pasture...
    Hi Cindy,

I think you didn't need to blur the background - it is far more obvious here what they are and the procession of tractors makes a composition that fits your idea.

I'd have a go at enhancing the red rust colour, but it would have to selective on the tractor, or the grass would look odd.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Here is another photo taken the same day. C&C, post processing suggestions, composition advice is greatly welcomed.

Out to pasture...
    Hi again Cindy,

I would look at those reds here too.

Also, compositionally; I'd have tried raising the camera slightly, moving it left slightly and cloning out the unknown shadow in lower left corner.

Having now read Geoff's reply above, I am inclined to add that I too would crop off the bit where the tree line ends to simplify the composition.

Cheers,