Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: canon 600D

Real Name
    Adeola Olagunju

canon 600D

I am just starting photography...considering a canon 600D what do y'all think about it?

Thanks

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: canon 600D

Hello again.

What are your other options and what sort of budget do you have available?

I think everybody would say that the 600D is fine for what it is. But whether it's right for you depends on what you want.

Real Name
    Adeola Olagunju

60D and 7D...but I read in a post on here...that I might no be able to handle all those because I am just starting.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'd be pretty sure (or certainly hope) that that is not what was being said.

There has been a lot of discussion just lately on this very subject. Colin (Southern), one of the Admins here on CiC has put it very well ......" Something I've written a few times recently is that the camera is "just a little box at the end of a lens that lets the light in" - and I'm actually quite serious about that. In most cases today, the capabilities of just about ANY modern camera aren't the limiting factor in the quality of the finished photography.

- Typically modern cameras have more and more megapixels, and yet we LITERALLY discard over 95% of these when down-sizing an image for online display

- Typically modern cameras have around 12 stops of dynamic range, and yet we typically can't reproduce even 1/2 of that on our screens, let alone in prints.

And on it goes.

The truth is that in the vast majority of cases, there is no "right" or "wrong" camera for general shooting -- there is however a HUGE overlap between models. Differences in things like exposure and saturation are - in a word - ZERO; any variation between models is so easily fixed in post-processing (which is a necessary part of photography regardless) that any co-incidental quality differences don't even rate a "trivial".

In reality, the things that will have a FAR FAR FAR FAR bigger influence on your work will be things like lenses - lighting - tripod - technique - planning (and more).
    "

The fact is that a 600D will help you provide brilliant ... or awful, images. That's all down to you, not the camera.

But if you have the budget for it, you might want to move up to the 60D or 7D. The ergonomics are very, very different. But is certainly NOT the case that you shouldn't be thinking about one of those because of the fact you are just beginning life with a DSLR. If you are ambitious to really develop your photographic interests beyond occasional family type pics and really get into understanding and imp,ementing the craft of photography and you have the budget available, then you may well want to seriously consider the 60 or 7D

The best thing you could do is get to a camera store and handle these cameras. See what each looks and feels like. And read up about what each does and doesn't do.
    Last edited by Donald; 8th October 2011 at 07:38 PM.

Real Name
    Adeola Olagunju

Thank you very much. I find this very helpful. I will just go for 60D then...

Real Name
    Toņo

Deola

I got myself a 600D (T3i in America) and I'm very happy with it.

Things I like about it are enough megapixels, good sensor (I think is the same on the 60D), the size and shape of the camera feels very good in my hands, easy to change settings (it has a many dedicated buttons), it is not too big or too heavy.

The articulated LCD screen has excellent resolution and may come handy from time to time.

For my needs the shooting speed is enough 1/4000 since I'm not shooting F1 cars on a daily basis, also the continous shooting mode is fast enough for my needs (in two months I have only made real use of it once, taking shots of a girl doing bungee jumping).

In case I need it, it comes with good video features (full HD, digital zoom in video, external microphone jack).

The price was just right for me. If I had the money, maybe I'd gone for the 5D... but that was not the case

No complains about it.

Good shopping out there.

Toņo

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

You might also find it helpful to read this thread.

Real Name
    Adeola Olagunju

Thank you very much Toņo

Real Name
    Adeola Olagunju

Thanks Donald

Real Name
    Mike Reynolds

Just to add . .

I have a Canon 600d and a Tamron 17/50mm F2/8 lens and im very happy with it excellent images and easy to use im gonna get the 60D and a 7D next year but im keeping the 600

Real Name
    Don B.

Welcome to photography i have the 60D and live it nice camera for starting out good choice you wont need a nother camera for a long time it well do everthiing you need it to one thing i tell everyone READ THE MANUAL you cant belive how many people that by a camera that dont read it.Theres a site that well help you with the 60D cameratips.com/60d/canon-60d-manual. it would be worth checking out.Now that you got the camera a good lens to get is 50mm 1.8 as this is a reaily good starter lens its a prime lens once you get good with it ya can move on .If you dont know much about photography read books go to sites like this talk to and ask questons no queston is a bad one we all started out knowing nothing or little other than that dont leave your camera on the shelf go out and take photos and have fun.Also invest in a trypod.Peace ozz Don B.

Real Name
    Adeola Olagunju

Thank you Don B.