Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Whole Lotta Bull

Real Name
    Mike

Whole Lotta Bull

Whole Lotta Bull

Saw this big fellow hanging out in front of an empty cabin, but since it was pouring rain my only option was to stay in the truck and shoot through the driver side window. He stayed put while I got the truck in the right position about 50 yds. away and changed lenses to the 70-300mm (f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR).

There were some elk cows with him, and this is how they "smell" if a cow is ready to breed, also known as the "Flehmen Response". With all those teeth showing it looks like he's saying "Ahhhh"..

Mike

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Whole Lotta Bull

That, indeed, is a lot of bull. I love the fact you've got the rain in it as well. It really adds to the atmosphere.

I'd wonder about darkening up the body with a bit of burning, just to adjust the imbalance between the tones a bit.

But, it's a beauty.
    Last edited by Donald; 8th October 2011 at 10:06 AM.

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Whole Lotta Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That, indeed, is a lot of bull. I love the fact you've got the rain in it as well. It really adds to the atmosphere.
    I'd wonder about darkening up the body with a bit of burning, just to adjust the imbalance between the tones a bit. But, it's a beauty.
    Thank you Donald. I actually did burn his sides a bit with the touch-up brush in Lightroom, as with him being all wet the light was really reflecting off his flanks.

Here's the "herd bull" with a yearling cow that was hanging out with him. I darkened this one a bit too, and reduced the contrast on the bright spots on his flanks and headgear. This one was cropped to an 8x10, otherwise I would have taken some of the excess grass off the bottom, but try as I might it just wouldn't fit in a 1:1.

Whole Lotta Bull

Mike
    Last edited by Dizzy; 8th October 2011 at 09:13 PM.