Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The engine driver

rob marshall

The engine driver

Shot at the Bure valley steam railway in North Norfolk (UK) last week. Processed using Silver Efex Pro2. It was basically a grab shot, but I guess I was just lucky with this one.

EXIF data

The engine driver

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: The engine driver

Hello Rob

Is this a sort of cameo appearance or are you back ? Anyway, welcome back.

It's a nice sharp well processed image IMO and captures the mood of a bygone era (a phrase I've used once or twice before for shots involving steam).

Cheers Dave

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Hello Rob

It's a nice sharp well processed image IMO and captures the mood of a bygone era (a phrase I've used once or twice before for shots involving steam).

Cheers Dave
    Thanks, Dave. I've been surprised at how many people like this shot. I think it's as you say about capturing the mood of a bygone era. The BW treatment helps that, of course. Silver Efex Pro is very good.

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Rob, I like it alot. The detail and the way the steam is not obstructing the engineer is fantastic. I have never used Silver Efex Pro. I picked up the total Topaz plugins for CS5 last weekend and learning to use them.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Smith View Post
    Rob, I like it alot. The detail and the way the steam is not obstructing the engineer is fantastic. I have never used Silver Efex Pro. I picked up the total Topaz plugins for CS5 last weekend and learning to use them.
    SEP is excellent, especially at the more creative (artsy) effects. However, it is rather expensive. I have no doubt that you could probably achieve the same ends just by using Photoshop (especially CS5) but who has the time?

Real Name
    Richard

Nice shot and great B&W conversion

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Nice shot and great B&W conversion
    Thanks, Richard. Sometimes the right guy (the driver) is in the right place at the right time, with the right steam engine, and you have the right camera (which I didn't), and he's doing the right pose in the right gear. That's too many rights, I think....

Real Name
    Marcus

Hi Rob,

a great picture - you couldn't have caught the scene better! The atmosphere of your picture is breathtaking - the stem, the sweaty mechanic in his heavy suit...his concentrated gaze. Being at the right time at the right place is important - but you truned that moment into a great picture. Well done!

Cheers,

Marcus

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by another Marcus View Post
    Hi Rob,

a great picture - you couldn't have caught the scene better! The atmosphere of your picture is breathtaking - the stem, the sweaty mechanic in his heavy suit...his concentrated gaze. Being at the right time at the right place is important - but you truned that moment into a great picture. Well done!

Cheers,

Marcus
    Thank you, Marcus, very kind of you to say so. I can assure you that the scene in reality didn't have this atmospheric effect, or at least, not so much as is in the shot. perhaps what they say about 'the camera never lying' isn't quite true?

Real Name
    Ric

cracker of a shot!