Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ruffy

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Ruffy

Was out driving took, a short cut, and missed my turn back to home. Many kms later ended up at a god forsaken spot called Ruffy. Would not recommend it as a tourist attraction However there were some nice big volcanic rocks there well worth a shot. Plus this old gum tree which caught my fancy.
    It was a wet, cold, overcast day around 3pm and the light was not the best.
    Thanks for viewing and for any posted comments
    ucci

Ruffy

Ruffy

Real Name
    David Duffy

Re: Ruffy

No mistaking that that's an Australian scene, Ken! That's a shapely tree, I can see why you'd want to take its portrait. Presumably why you used F4 (other reason being hand-holding in low light?). The photo is a study in subdued tones, and with the grazing sheep it awakens a peaceful feeling. I'm a little niggled by what look like distant buildings on the horizon? Or are they rock formations? Personally I'd clone them out to keep the focus on the tree. And - again personally - I'd have tried to get the whole tree in shot so that it really is a portrait of it. I do like the pic though.

cheers, David

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Indeed - If you're going to photograph a gum tree, make it a nice one.

But, on the basis of ........
    Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Was out driving took a short cut, and missed my turn back to home.
    ..... would you really want this man guiding you on a photo-shoot around Australia!!?

Ken - The whole thing seems a bit pale to me. Maybe as if it could do with having the exposure cranked down a couple of notches. But never having got lost in Australia (in fact never having been at all), I don't know what the quality of light was like as you captured the shot. Maybe it was that bright and intense.

EDIT - Just another thought. Do you have your monitor calibrated and profiled? Maybe we're looking at different versions of the same image.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Thanks for comments. Yes they were rocks in the background. Many of them as huge as a house! And that is just how the light was Mr D. It is one of the things that caught my eye. As I intimated, it was a crappy day with weird light such as we sometimes get here. That is what aroused my interest. For, let's face it, seen one gum tree, you've seen them all.The place is chockers with them here.
    It was a hand held shot. Wasn't game enough to set up tripod and fiddle about. Some will no doubt understand the pressures on one's artistic endeavours when there is a cold, hungry and a very miffed-at-being-lost, wife mutttering away rebelliously in the car, impatient to get moving and head for home.
    I have had a few attempts at calibrating my monitor but I reckon I am better as a tour guide than at calibrating a monitor. Just can't seem to get the hang of it.
    And Mr D, Ucci's photographic safaris may lose their way but at least we get to some little frequented, off the beaten track, god forsaken places that sensible people avoid and so have not been photographed to over exposure.
    old ucci
    Last edited by ucci; 7th October 2011 at 09:23 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

LOL! Ken, you certainly have a way with words!