Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kelby City Walk pics

Real Name
    Bryan

Kelby City Walk pics

Below are a few pic from the Kelby City Walk. C&C welcome

The building in the center is the Civil Court. The head is just a sculpture, however in the US, courts are usually represented by "Justice" a Lady blind folded holding scales. Notice the bandage on the head. While I do believe the US has a descent justice system, perhaps I was trying to start a conversation with this composition.
    Kelby City Walk pics

Inside an old courthouse. A little under exposed, but not bad for hand holding.
    Kelby City Walk pics

A local monument, the Gateway to the west.
    Kelby City Walk pics

Real Name
    Darlene

Re: Kelby City Walk pics

Bryan,

Really love the second photo. All of them are great, but the middle one is a WOW!

Were you laying on the floor for that one? Makes my neck hurt just thinking about hand holding at that angle. It is a wonderful view and photo.

Is that court house in St Louis or near as I think the local monument looks like the St Louis arch? My Husbands family live in KC and we drive by it most years to visit them.

All very well done!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Nice set of pics Bryan

I too like #2 the best, lovely mix of colours. #3 is fairly simple but it is effective.

Well done

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    John

Very nice images.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by BJ Denning View Post
    While I do believe the US has a descent justice system, perhaps I was trying to start a conversation with this composition.
    I think that could get rather heated and intense. Just like the discussion we could have about our justice system, which matches the US in terms of of heading up the statistics in relation to the number of people we send to prison amongst 'western', 'developed' nations, but still having amongst the highest crime rates. Now, there's a message there, if only people had the ability to see it - Prison is the most effective crime education resource that's ever been invented.

So we better stick to photography.

On which subject - these are three good images.

I would like to have seen a bit more space above the top of the Court building in the first one, which would also have put more space at the top of that block on the left.

I've never seen that particular take on The Arch. It's a superb composition and you've done it really well.

Good stuff, Bryan.

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

#2 is WOW

Real Name
    Mark

I think all these pics are good. I love the arch - great composition.

Quote Originally Posted by BJ Denning View Post
    Below are a few pic from the Kelby City Walk. C&C welcome

The building in the center is the Civil Court. The head is just a sculpture, however in the US, courts are usually represented by "Justice" a Lady blind folded holding scales. Notice the bandage on the head.
    Kelby City Walk pics
    It's funny to see that head once again for me..
    Matching it with the blind justice is an interesting thought, and another way to present that head:
    infact "this" head is deposed also in the "VAlle dei Templi" (Temples' Valley) near Agrigento (Sicily, Italy) as you can see below

Kelby City Walk pics

and it is called "the head of saint John"
    (in my opinion, exposing permanently a contemporary piece of art in an historical place like this valley, where many temples stand still up even if builded many centuries before Christ birth, is something of offensive..)

but this head is visible (or has been visible) also at Krakov (Poland), called "bandaged Eros"..... I'm quite confused

the artist is Mr. Igor Mitoraj

Real Name
    Bryan

Thanks Darlene. This is the old court house in St Louis. I was laying on my back, trying to be quick about it as tourist stared at the man laying in the middle of the hall
    Last edited by BJ Denning; 8th October 2011 at 01:49 AM.

Real Name
    Bryan

Thanks Donald. I've tried a couple shots of this head, but haven't found one that I really like. However I find it fascinating and keep returning.

I would have to agree that prisons are not working as imagined. I had took a few shots of the court house, including one of "Justice", prior to walking down the block. I've been trying to improve my shots beyond snaps, to tell a story or strike an emotion. I also appreciate the advise on improving the composition.

Real Name
    Bryan

Wow, Thanks Nicola.

I wondered where the inspiration for the head came from, I knew it was not intended to be justice - I was just drawing on similarities.

Further investigation shows that it is a replica of the "Eros Bendato" by Igor Mitoraj.

Real Name
    Darlene

Bryan,

I'm really glad to hear you were lying on your back. Because that's the only way I could get that shot. I'll have to try that next time I visit a domed building. I always love that shot but never could seem to pull it off. Hopefully I won't have any run in the the justice system because of it, either.

Thanks Nicola for the information on the bandaged head. That adds so much to the photos to know the background about a sculpture, bird, etc.

Maybe I'll have to stop next year at the arch and see if I can get a shot as good as yours!

Real Name
    Bobo

Excellent shots Bryan.

Real Name
    Toño

Very nice pics Bryan. The shot of the arc is marvellous. I also like the second one very much.

About the first, it is surprising the see the same head once again. As Nicola correctly mentioned, that head is exhibited at the central square of Krákow, Poland.

I took this picture last year there

In the case it is the Head of St John I don't see a problem with the one at St Louis. But if it is, as you first thought, the head of Justice Lady laying in front of the courthouse... well, I wonder what exactly the real message is...

Toño

Kelby City Walk pics

Real Name
    Bryan

It is not the head of "justice". That was just me noticing some similarity.

It is surreal to see the same sculpture in three places around the world.