Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: NYC Nightime Skyline Panoramic - From my terrace.

Real Name
    Joie Fadde

NYC Nightime Skyline Panoramic - From my terrace.

A Panoramic View of the Nightime NYC Skyline taken Sunday Night, October 2, 2011 from my terrace in Rockaway Beach. Feel free to comment...

NYC Nightime Skyline Panoramic - From my terrace.

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Re: NYC Nightime Skyline Panoramic - From my terrace.

Hey
    Lovely view, however the bright building on the right is very distracting, I think the Picture would work better if it were maybe cropped ot or darkened. At the moment it just pulls they eye to much.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

For those of us who live in rural settings amongst the sort of mountain and countryside scenery that most folks look at in awe and we take completely for granted, this sort of scenery is just stupendous. What a view from your terrace.

I wondered - When viewed at the a larger size in the lightbox, do the buildings of the city look a bit soft? The focus and sharpening on that lit-up rooftop room just in front of us, is perfect. Is it because the focusing was on that? Or is it just a haze? Or am I completely wrong and imagining it?

By the way, and taking a different view than Tobias, I think that structure just to the front right (is it a rooftop room) really makes this image. In my opinion, it would just have been a snap of the city without it. By including it, you have raised this up into a well-composed image.

Real Name
    Joie Fadde

It may be out of focus... or soft. Trying to figure out how to best get the skyline in focus from the distance I am at (about 12 miles as the crow flies)... do not know if it may be to the longer exposure at night with some mild camera shake, or that it is not in focus at the beginning. (eyesight not the greatest anymore when looking through the viewfinder). It was shot on auto focus, with a remote release. Plus it is a combination a few different images... any thoughts/

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Joie

What cameras do you use? I'm wondering if you have a LiveView (or equivalent) whereby you can look at it on the LCD screen and zoom that in on the downtown area in the distance. Then focus manually.

Real Name
    Joie Fadde

Right now, using the Canon Rebel XTi, so it does not have the live view.

Have another pic posted (Green Reflections) from later that night which is zoomed in more. That too, the skyline seems soft and a bit out of focus. Again, looking thru the viewfinder and it did appear in focus at the time...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I suppose the other option is put the focus onto manual, set it at infinity and go for it.

And the thing is, we're talking detail about that focus. Let's not forget, it's still a very. very good image (in my opinion). This discussion is all about just lifting it up even higher.

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Joie,

Very nice shot.I think it's in pretty good focus.You need to do some sharpening in post processing.I ran unsharp mask at 254 amount,.5 radius,0 threshold.Looks good.
    You're shooting through a good bit of atmosphere at that distance and it will soften the image some.