Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camps Bay, South Africa

Real Name
    Andrew

Camps Bay, South Africa

Being very new to photography, only had my camera for a few months, this is my first post. C & C's are most welcome. Hopefully I can up load my pics!

Camps Bay, South Africa

Camps Bay, South Africa

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Camps Bay, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    Being very new to photography, only had my camera for a few months, this is my first post. C & C's are most welcome. Hopefully I can up load my pics!
    Andrew for someone "new to photography" you've done extremely well with these two shots. I love the second one in particular but you've handled the first very well also with a long exposure.

Well done

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

As Dave says, a very competent start to aa career in posting images to CiC.

I don't know what your experience level is in relation to post-processing. But if dodging and burning are skills you have, then I wonder if a bit of dodging on the rocks to bring out a bit more of the detail in them (I don't think they've gone completely to black, in which case there will be no detail to recover), would add to the image?

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Andrew for someone "new to photography" you've done extremely well with these two shots. I love the second one in particular but you've handled the first very well also with a long exposure.

Well done

Cheers Dave
    Thanks Dave, sticking to landscapes for the time being. At least they dont move. Shots of people will just have to wait.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Dave, sticking to landscapes for the time being. At least they dont move. Shots of people will just have to wait.
    I'm the same. People are too hard ! (to photograph that is)

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    As Dave says, a very competent start to aa career in posting images to CiC.

I don't know what your experience level is in relation to post-processing. But if dodging and burning are skills you have, then I wonder if a bit of dodging on the rocks to bring out a bit more of the detail in them (I don't think they've gone completely to black, in which case there will be no detail to recover), would add to the image?
    Both pictures are as I shot them using a tripod. Post-processing? Have not even tried to enhance my pics, besides cropping and rotating a few degrees. Must still investigate post processing and even the software I got with the camera. Dont know what the software can even do, besides real basics such as cropping, rotation, saturation and contrast.

Will keep dodging and burning in the back of my mind. I agree, bringing up detail (if possible) on the rocks in the second image would improve the image greatly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Wow Andrew, for just starting out these shots are fantastic. Are you playing with post processing as well? If so, what are you using?

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Wow Andrew, for just starting out these shots are fantastic. Are you playing with post processing as well? If so, what are you using?
    No post processing done, besides rotating a few degrees and cropping. Thinking of getting photoshop. Seems most people I have spoken to use it. Are there any others out there that are worth a look?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

No post processing done, besides rotating a few degrees and cropping. Thinking of getting photoshop. Seems most people I have spoken to use it. Are there any others out there that are worth a look?
    I use Photoshop but there are quite a few post processing applications available. Photoshop seems to be the most widely used but it probably the most expensive of the lot - all the way down in price to free applications such as GIMP. We have folks on the forum using just about every popular post processing application out there so I'm sure you can get lots of feedback if you are looking to evaluate and choose one. For photography, the features that seem to be most in demand are Selection, Masking, Layers, and Adjustments. Many other features will be there by default to support these.