Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Very wide angle lens/sensor combination needed (120 deg)

Very wide angle lens/sensor combination needed (120 deg)

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some help to chose a lens/camera which will give me the possibility to take picture with very wide angle . I have calculate that I need a lens/sensor combination that gives me aprox. 120 degrees horizontal view in air.

Any tips ? : do some of you can recommend me a lens/camera .

Thanks for any help
    pk

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Very wide angle lens/sensor combination needed (120 deg)

Widest i know of is the canon 8-15mm f4 fisheye on a full frame body like the 5d. Not sure if that would be 120 degrees though.

Paul

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi pk,

This should help, the table is for FF 35mm cameras, any smalle sensor will reduce these angles (not what you want).

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...

Real Name
    Steaphany

The formula for Field or Angle of View is:

Angle of View = 2 * Arc Tangent ( Sensor Dimension / ( 2 * Focal Length ))

Real Name
    Richard

Hi PK,

Welcome to Cambridge in Colour...

Perhaps you could provide a bit more information regarding your use for a, "120 degrees horizontal view in air".

My first thought was that maybe a pano might be the way to go but, I'd need a bit more information before I recommended that method.

Shooting a pano in the vertical position will give you a wider top to bottom coverage. As an example, a 35mm focal length shot in the portrait position will provide approximately the same top to bottom coverage as a 24mm lens shot in the horizontal or landscape position - but will exhibit less perspective distortion. The amount of side to side coverage is predicated on how many images you are able or desire to merge,

BTW: Dave, I really like that table of angles of view that you linked to. It will help me in future calculations. Thanks.

Real Name
    Tom

A very useful set of calculators for photography can be found here: http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm Scroll down to the "Angular Field of View" calculator and you can figure out for yourself what you need. The widest DX rectilinear UWA lens with which I am familiar is the Sigma 8-16, which isn't wide enough on a Nikon 1.5 crop factor (and is a tad worse on the Canon 1.6 factor). It appears that the best you can do is the 112.6 degrees horizontally of this lens at 8mm. FWIW

ETA: I don't have any experience with FX cameras, but if there is a 10mm lens available for one of those, it would get you where you want to go in a rectilinear UWA lens.

Real Name
    Ken

Try a Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM on a full frame eg 5D Mk ll. Quoted on Sigma website at 122-84.1 degrees

Real Name
    Ian

Just be aware that some lenses (such as DX range Nikon lenses) are specifically designed for such sensors and if you put them on a FF, the camera will cut down the field of view available to use in the final shot (although the whole frame with a greyed out border is visible in the viewfinder)

Is 120 deg absolutely critical or can it be best match? I think it is quite important that the subject and conditions are also accounted for, as some lenses at this size have a somewhat limited max aperture?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by pk01 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for some help to chose a lens/camera which will give me the possibility to take picture with very wide angle . I have calculate that I need a lens/sensor combination that gives me aprox. 120 degrees horizontal view in air.

Any tips ? : do some of you can recommend me a lens/camera .

Thanks for any help
    pk
    Hi PK, is this for continuous use at 120°? If not then could you, as Richard suggests stitch together a panoramic image? The Sony TX7 Cybershot can do images that wide in-camera. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhHMWLjL77U

Or would a rental lens address your needs? When you say 'in air' do you mean that the images would be shot from an aircraft or while skydiving??

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in PDX View Post
    Widest i know of is the canon 8-15mm f4 fisheye on a full frame body like the 5d. Not sure if that would be 120 degrees though.

Paul
    The EF8-15mm F4 can do 180 degrees on a FF camera (that's a complete hemisphere)