Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 'Ha Ha' pigeons

Real Name
    Ken Outch

'Ha Ha' pigeons

Back in the 1950's new arrivals settling in Oz had trouble with "Kookaburra" and so dubbed them ' Ha Ha pigeons." I was down walking along the river yesterday and came across this particular 'ha ha pigeon' which was most obliging, willing to pose, didn't demand outrageous modeling fees, happy to sign the usual model release, etc., etc, ......
    Thanks for viewing and for any c&c comments posted
    old ucci

'Ha Ha' pigeons

'Ha Ha' pigeons

'Ha Ha' pigeons

'Ha Ha' pigeons
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 20th September 2011 at 10:15 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: 'Ha Ha' pigeons

The first one is a beauty. You've really nailed it - Focus, Exposure, Composition. No distracting background trees etc. The others are okay, but, for me, this one is different class.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The first one is a beauty. You've really nailed it - Focus, Exposure, Composition. No distracting background trees etc. The others are okay, but, for me, this one is different class.
    Ditto from me Ken. The first one really stands out. Nice work.

Dave

Real Name
    Tommy

I like the first and the the third, although I'd be tempted to clone out the twig at the bottom of the first. It distracts me somewhat.

Nice series though

Real Name
    Scott Benz

I agree the first is wonderful. The detail is great but the twig is a twig distracting as Tommy indicated. I would love to know what type lens was used and how close you were to the "ha ha" pigeon. At second glance the first three are all pretty darn good but the first is still my favorite.

Real Name
    Bobo

They are all pretty good. Well done.

Real Name
    Robert S.

I like the first one most. I would adjust dark level and contrast a little bit so that the picture crisper look.

Robert

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Ken,

I like all four images buit my favorite pigeon is #3. My favorite overall image is #1 due to the fact that the background isn't as busy as in the other three.

I've not been able to get out shooting much lately but I still want to learn as much as I can so I have been trying to learn how to use the tools and techniques in Photoshop. Now here is where I get into trouble so I'm going to ask forgivness.

I hope you don't mind but I put the pigeon in #3 on the branch and background from #1. Owing to the slightly different aspect ratios of the two images, I kept the 1:1 cropping even though it made the image a little tight. The only other thing I did was to increase the contrast and vibrance slightly although, as good as your shot was, it probably wasn't needed. It was really more for something to do in Photoshop and not to try to improve them as you already had excellent images and they certianly didn't need this change. I am hoping to be able to get out soon and take some pictures of my own to play with and post.

'Ha Ha' pigeons

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    I agree the first is wonderful. The detail is great but the twig is a twig distracting as Tommy indicated. I would love to know what type lens was used and how close you were to the "ha ha" pigeon. At second glance the first three are all pretty darn good but the first is still my favorite.
    Hi Scott
    It was a hand held shot and I was about 20 ft or so from the bird. I was using a Tamron 300mm zoom lens. The aperture setting was f 5.4.
    Hope this info is useful. Thanks for viewing and comment.
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Hi Scott
    It was a hand held shot and I was about 20 ft or so from the bird. I was using a Tamron 300mm zoom lens. The aperture setting was f 5.4.
    Hope this info is useful. Thanks for viewing and comment.
    Cheers
    Ken
    Just curious Ken. Great shots. I am so careful not to disturb the wildlife around here but they seem to be wise to me and I have had some frustrating moments trying to get close enough to get the detail you have gotten in your series. Good work and keep them coming.

Real Name
    james

Great series ken !!

Real Name
    Peter

Ken - for me the images are a little flat. Have a look at the below post which may help you a bit.

My workflow procedure as requested by Rob.

I had a quick play with the 1st one with a quick sharpen and level adjustment in GIMP. I realise I have been a bit heavy handed in the sharpening but gives you an idea.

'Ha Ha' pigeons

Real Name
    John Wright

Wonderful photos,Ken. Now can you get some like this of the Crimson Rosella ?