Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Using generic CF Cards and Batteries

Real Name
    Jeannie

Using generic CF Cards and Batteries

I have a Rebel EOS 300D. I'd like to order another CF card and replacement batteries. Of course, the Canon manual says to use "Canon" brand. I have seen posts about y'all liking SterlingTek batteries which are much cheaper than Canon. What do y'all do? Brand name or generic? Do the generic CF cards corrupt more easily? BTW - How long does a CF card last?

Need to find that book "How to Use Your Camera for Idiots"

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Using generic CF Cards and Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by rosapearl View Post
    I have a Rebel EOS 300D. I'd like to order another CF card and replacement batteries. Of course, the Canon manual says to use "Canon" brand. I have seen posts about y'all liking SterlingTek batteries which are much cheaper than Canon. What do y'all do? Brand name or generic? Do the generic CF cards corrupt more easily? BTW - How long does a CF card last?
    Hi Jeannie,

My personal experience with StirlingTek batteries were that - if anything - they were even better than Canon brand (higher capacity, cheaper, and no problems with longevity).

With regards to CF Cards - personally - I use Sandisk, but be aware that if you decide on this brand, be sure to buy them only from a reputable dealer as there are MANY counterfeit copies floating around (including approx 100% of what's for sale via eBay). Be aware that older cameras like the 300D may well have a limitation of the maximum size card that it can write to (might pay to do a little research first).

In terms of "how long should a CF card last" - the short answer is "a long time". The cards do wear out, but they also have controllers built in that spread the load across all memory locations - so I wouldn't be too worried unless you're capturing thousands of shots a day.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Jeannie

"Be aware that older cameras like the 300D may well have a limitation of the maximum size card that it can write to (might pay to do a little research first)."

Thanks! I never buy from ebay - just never felt comfortable doing so. In regards to the above quote. SterlingTek had a CF card that was 8 GB and said it was compatible with the EOS 300D ?? The one Dad bought for the camera is a SanDisk 512 MB which usually holds about 300 photos in the best setting right under RAW. I'll stick with the SanDisk cards and will try out the SterlingTek batteries. I do know you get what you pay for, but sometimes you're just paying a big price for a brand name. Many thanks.

PS. Had the troublesome photos (that you so graciously helped me with) printed and they turned out very nice.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern
    Be aware that older cameras like the 300D may well have a limitation of the maximum size card that it can write to (might pay to do a little research first).
    In regards to the above quote. SterlingTek had a CF card that was 8 GB and said it was compatible with the EOS 300D ??
    Hi Jeannie,

You should be safe to 4GB from what I have seen on the web.
    8GB may be possible, but I gather there might be issues with the shots remaining counter, which (apparently) only goes to 999, so if you shoot small and/or standard jpgs, that may be a problem with a bigger card. I haven't researched the numbers too well. Maybe a Canon shooter can assist?

The one Dad bought for the camera is a SanDisk 512 MB which usually holds about 300 photos in the best setting right under RAW.
    This worries me, you shouldn't get that many "Large, Fine" jpgs on a 512MB card, since they are about 3MB each, so 170 tops.
    It implies you're not using the largest and/or best quality of jpg image, which is a false economy in my view (when you PP).
    I don't know the menu of the 300D to know what setting you are selecting as "the best setting right under RAW".
    RAW would be better still, of course for PP.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Chris

No problems with SterlingTek batteries. They work a treat.

I only use SanDisk and agree with Colin that just about every one on eBay is counterfeit. I've never had a SanDisk fail on me, but I tend to be buying the next size up before that can happen. The golden rule is, that no matter what size card you've got, always have a spare to hand because if it does pack up and you're halfway up a mountain ....!

Real Name
    Ben

I agree with everyone that you should only buy cards from a reputable dealer. As for the book, there actually is one with that title:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiot.../dp/159257615X

Real Name
    Mike Goodwin

I just had a problem with a 8GB 600X Kingston CF card, bought from a big electronics store. It failed to download to my computer but I could still see the images through the camera. Since I had a previous problem with downloading from a P&S camera, I did not want to try that process with my new 7D. The pictures were not ones that were important, just a baseball game where I was playing with the 8FPS. Returning the card to Kingston was a no problem process just took about two weeks roundtrip. On a 400D I had two generic batteries with no problems. With that camera I always numbered the batteries and used them in rotation & let them go down to about 25% prior to recharging, the same as with my 7D. But I have also had bad batteries when using the 400D so they are out there, quality does cost & is generally worth it.

Real Name
    Robert S.

Hi Jeannie,

I had battery problems in the past. It was an orginal Canon battery for a 350D that was broken. The battery housing was cracked one day. Luckily no battery filling agent came out. I do not know exactly what caused this accident, but it I found scorch marks on one of the internal battery circuits. Personally I use Canon and Ansman batteries for my 40D. With the Ansman I had never any trouble.
    Think about the following consideration. Does it make sense to buy original Canon batteries for an entry model camera that is so old ? It is long out of warranty, so nobody at Canon will blame a possible defect on "wrong" batteries. Due to its age if something gets broken on a 300D camera repairing may not be worth it. Therfor I would not spend money in original Canon batteries in this case.

bye
    Robert

Purchased a a 4gb CF Sandisk from Cheap as Chips, found it does everything it is suppoed to, at a very good price. Also I have used Halnel and Phottix batteries for a few years and find the Phottix batteries better than the OE. Give em a go

Real Name
    Jeannie

Thanks for all the advice. I am planning to order today or tomorrow and will definitely get a Sandisk CF card. However, I did find a forum about Canon Rebel 300D using CF cards larger than 2G creates problems with the camera's numbering system and also slows down the processing system. I decided to go with the 2G cards.

Real Name
    Richard

I have had two CF cards fail on me but, they were bad from the start. I could also see my images on the monitor with the first card (8GB Kingston) but couldn't download the images. Unfortunately I did not keep the documentation so I couldn't return the card. The second bad card I had was also a Kingston, this time a 16GB CF card. Parts of the image were visible and random parts were not visible and had all sorts of crazy colors. I had kept the documentation and was able to return this card for my money back at Fry's Electronics. I will not buy another Kingston card, although I have some older 2 GB and 4GB Kingston sards which are working fine.

Sandisk cards are fine. I use Lexar cards which I also like.

I use both BP-511A and LP-E6 Sterlingtek batteries and they are just great. Every bit as good as Canon batteries. I have never run a battery completely down shooting so I don't know if the Sterlingtek lasts longer than the Canon. However, I never pay attention to which brand battery (Canon or Sterlingtek) I am installing in my camera. That should tell you somethimng about my confidence in the Sterlingtek models...