Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Piecing together Photoshop

Piecing together Photoshop

So Ive got lightroom 3 and photomatix for hdr processing. Id still like some software to work with layers and another to stitch together some panoramas.
    Question is, should I just grit my teeth and fork out the cash for photoshop, or continue with specialized software for layering and stitching?
    What else would photoshop provide to justify the added expense?

thanks
    chris

Re: Piecing together Photoshop

If you go all the way to Photoshop CS5 it will do all that you need, and a lot more than most users will ever need - or understand.

But, yes, it does come at a horrendous cost.

However, I find it does everything necessary including Raw conversion, Smart Object editing, layers, masks, etc. So I don't use any other software now.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by christopher marks View Post
    So Ive got lightroom 3 and photomatix for hdr processing. Id still like some software to work with layers and another to stitch together some panoramas.
    Question is, should I just grit my teeth and fork out the cash for photoshop, or continue with specialized software for layering and stitching?
    What else would photoshop provide to justify the added expense?

thanks
    chris
    Hi Chris, IF you can afford it and IF you plan on using it over a long enough time to justify the expense, it is probably the most widely used photography post processing software available. This provides one huge added benefit in that there are more free web and video tutorials available then I have seen for any product. For almost anything you want to do in Photoshop, just click 'help' and Adobe takes you to hundreds of request specific web & video tutorials. If you want something similar but less expensive that does Layers and Masking, then you might want to consider it's little brother, Elements. Six months from now you won't be thinking about how much you spent (or saved), but you will be constantly reminded of what you can (or can't) do with whatever you choose. This was the choice I made 4 months ago and haven't regretted a minute of it. Hope this helps!

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

I use PS CS5, but you might try GIMP, free open Source software, but with a steep learning curve. It does support layering and masking.There are tutorials available on YouTube to get you started with it.
    There are also a couple of user forums (http://www.gimptalk.com/ and http://gimpchat.com/).

Real Name
    Mike

Christopher,
    I have to agree with Geoff and Frank. I have been using Photoshop since version 3.0, yah we are talking a few years, but there are so many areas to get help from. Scott Kelby does a great job with his books on specific versions and YouTube is another wonderful source for tutorials. I love my CS5. It has aided in my growth as a photographer and I am still eagerly learning. If you have the patience to take the time to learn what it can do for you, you won't be disappointed.
    Mike

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by PicsbyChance View Post
    Scott Kelby does a great job with his books on specific versions
    He sure does!

But wait - there's more ... much more, at www.kelbytraining.com - many many many online training videos.

And no I'm not on commission, but wish I was!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chris,

If you are UK based you could try what I did, I started with Elements, a proper retail version (via Amazon UK) and registered at Adobe.

Within a few weeks, I got an e-mail from Adobe offering CS5 at half price, I took it (I had declined previously).

Recently, about 6 months later, I also received an e-mail from Amazon UK saying Adobe wanted to offer me CS5 at a reduced price and providing a promotional code to use on Amazon's site for effectively the same 50% off.

Now I cannot promise that either offer is still being made, but if you're not sure, start with Elements and see what turns up

btw It helps us if you edit your profile and provide a Location (especially for this kind of thing) city/region + country is sufficient.

EDIT:
    I see you have LR3, so if you're on Adobe's books, I'd be surprised if they don't offer you CS5 reduced anyway, if that's a new purchase, be patient and see what happens.

Cheers (and welcome to the CiC forums),

Real Name
    Peter

..Or you might start with an older version of Photoshop proper - Amazon UK have CS3 @ £185, which isn't too painful. This may also enable you to get later versions at a discount. Here's the link -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-System...6432171&sr=8-1

HTH

Peter

Real Name
    Ian

Of course if you are in education or have kids, then there are educational discounts too. Just needs a letter from the school head/principal and you can get CS5 for amazing discounts and teach your kids into the bargain!

Real Name
    Robert S.

Hello,

looks like you are not fixed to Adobe software.
    If you alre looking for a picture editing software that can handle layers try GIMP. http://www.gimp.org/
    A good panorama software is HUGIN. http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Bye
    Robert

Previously I used Serif Photo Plus which can do most of the same work as CS5, including layers, masks, panoramas, etc, and for around a tenth of the price. But in all honesty, it doesn't quite match CS5 for quality.

I did, however, find it a lot more 'user friendly'.

Real Name
    Alan Pezzulich

Photoshop Elements will probably do what you want. Both Elements and CS5 are available for a free trial, but that will not give you enough time to completely figure out what each one does. It will give you enough time to try stitching and to try out the operations that can be done with layers.

Alan

Thanks guys. I ended up getting cs5 design premium at educators price. Also bought one of Kelbys book in an attempt to surmount this learning curve.

Thanks again for your responses