Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Post or Pre-processing with RAW files

Post or Pre-processing with RAW files

There seems to be a general consensus that, if one is shooting in raw, one can do most things with the picture before it is opened into PS and still in its raw state. The camera, however, allows a wide range of settings which are very similar to the adjustments available in the PS raw screen. The question is-do I set everything to 0 in the camera and forget it,or is there any advantage to pre-processing even in some specific areas? This is now, to me least, a more tricky problem with live view where it is possible to manipulate RGB levels before taking the shot. Whereas, previously, one took the shot, checked the luminance histogram and reshot if necessary.

Any good thoughts, anyone.

Paul

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Re: Post or Pre-processing

I think the consensus is that it is better to do everything correct during the shot than in post-processing. This means getting just the right exposure, framing, focusing distance, using a hood to avoid flare, avoiding movement by using a tripod and low ISO, etc. This all refers to photographic technique as opposed to RAW pre-processing. In fact, the RAW file does not undergo any processing in the camera, which is in part why it is termed "RAW" . . . because it is the raw pixel information as captured at the sensor, untouched by any post-processing.

We need to be careful here when speaking of settings that are applied to the RAW file in-camera. When you say you are setting everything to 0, I assume that this refers to sharpness, contrast, and all of the other picture style settings. In that case, these are only applied to a JPEG file -- in either JPEG only mode or with RAW+JPEG mode. These settings will not affect the RAW file. The only settings that would affect the RAW file by setting or not setting them to 0 are the exposure compensation and flash compensation.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Post or Pre-processing

Slight caveat with Nikon, which I am still trying to check out with them. The 'colour mode' once set in the camera can be altered in RAW processing (at least in View & Capture NX), but the file is permanently branded which means its best to avoid I & III which are sRGB.

If anyone knows, I would be grateful. It seems to be something to do with where the underscore comes in the file no and I am not sure if it is OK to just move it along and whether that would indeed synchronise recognition in other software with changes made in conversion. That is, _DSC9000.nef (Colour Mode II) is recognised as Adobe RGB and DSC_9000.nef is recognised as sRGB, irrespective of content.

I think this may also be different with different cameras, so check instructions carefully.
    Last edited by crisscross; 5th April 2009 at 09:46 PM.

Re: Post or Pre-processing with RAW files

Thankyou McQ. Yes,I do shoot in raw if I possibly can. I also try my best to take care of the external items which affect the picture like exposure, shutter speed, composition and useing a tri-pod etc. However with my new Canon with live view, it disables certain items under a variety of different circumstances, so I think I will need to develope a new workflow. "Life gets complicateder don' it."
    Paul