Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photography books on specific themes: flowers, portraits, landscapes etc

Real Name
    Jonathan

Photography books on specific themes: flowers, portraits, landscapes etc

Hello,

In order to organize my photography studying, I'm looking for good books in certain themese. The big options at the moment are garden and flowers, portraits and landscapes.
    Do you have suggestions of books on those subjects?

As for portraits I've seen some titles as Portrait's photography handbook by Bill Hurter or The Portrait: Understanding Portrait Photography by Glenn Rand. Do you know any of these?

For flower and garden, and landscape there are also thousands of titles.

I prefer to read books with more comprehensive explanations (such as Bryan Peterson's Understanding photography) instead only short tips (and funny less jokes as Scott Kelby's =D).

Thank you very much beforehand

Real Name
    John

Re: Photography books on specific themes: flowers, portraits, landscapes etc

Quote Originally Posted by Pohled View Post
    Hello,

In order to organize my photography studying, I'm looking for good books in certain themese. The big options at the moment are garden and flowers, portraits and landscapes.
    Do you have suggestions of books on those subjects?

As for portraits I've seen some titles as Portrait's photography handbook by Bill Hurter or The Portrait: Understanding Portrait Photography by Glenn Rand. Do you know any of these?

For flower and garden, and landscape there are also thousands of titles.

I prefer to read books with more comprehensive explanations (such as Bryan Peterson's Understanding photography) instead only short tips (and funny less jokes as Scott Kelby's =D).

Thank you very much beforehand
    Your best resource is the public library. The link below is another starting point.

http://www.photoworkshop.com/pages/books.html

Real Name
    Richard

I am often able to get used books from the thrift shop of my public library. Often these books are somewhat outdated, being mostly involved with film. However, there are some things that are absolutely no different with digital than they were with film. These books often sell for twenty-five cents to a dollar and are a trip doen memory lane for me but would be some basic information for other photographers.

Real Name
    Bill S

Jonathan,

I don't know if you will like these books as they are not necessarily in-depth. Instead, they consist of 100 little things you can do to improve your shooting techniques. They are in a series called "100 Ways to Take Better [insert style here] Photographs". I own four of them, and I really like each one very much. The two that match what you are looking for are:

Edwardes, Guy - 100 Ways to Take Better Landscape Photographs - ISBN: 978-0715319932
    Lezano, Daniel - 100 Ways to Take Better Portrait Photograph - ISBN: 978-0715323250

Hope you find some books that you like and will help you with your photography.

- Bill

Real Name
    Jonathan

Hi,

Thank you, John and Richard. Actually, I haven't been to libraries, unless of my college's for a long time. Not sure if it would be easier to find photography books on them here, it's not a very popular theme, even in bookshops I don't see much of it, unless in some.

Ktuli, this books sounds fine. =) I'm not completly against short-advices books ... The problem probably was Scott Kelby's bad jokes, but even so I could learn important things with his book.

If I read one of the 100 ways book I give you the feedback.

Real Name
    Tom

A book I recently picked up and enjoyed was http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Photog...6138103&sr=1-1 It is a series of articles on topics related to nature photography. It's kind of an idiosynchratic book, in that it ranges from very substantial insights into composition to tips on workflow and why you should shoot in raw format. But, for the most part, it is a book well worth reading.