Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10-stop ND Filters

Real Name
    Tommy

10-stop ND Filters

Hi All,

Having seen the results of 10 stop ND Filters like here I really want to get one.

I think the lens I will be using it on most frequently will be my Sigma 10-20mm.

Should I buy a circular filter like the B+W 77mm 110 ND + 10 f-stop F-Pro MRC 1066186 or should I invest in a much better slot-style filter system than the Cokin P-Series set that I currently have?

Will I get significant vignetting at 10mm with the circular filter? I can buy step down rings to attach it to my other lenses if I need to, so i don't see that as being too much of a problem...

If I decided to go with the Lee system, would I need to get the (much more expensive) 150mm square filter system to cover the wide angle of the Sigma? The Cokin P-Series filter holder is actually visible on shots at 10-12mm on the Sigma at the moment, so if I need a filter I usually hold it in front of the lens myself.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences...

Thanks for your time.

Tommy

Real Name
    Johan J Ingles-Le Nobel

Re: 10-stop ND Filters

Hello,

I get no vignetting using that filter on my 10-20. But, if you have a UV filter underneath, you might get some, depending on its width. If you can, get 'thin' versions as 2 thins (in my case ND110 and CPL) don't vignet whereas thin and thick can.

Real Name
    Tommy

OK that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks Johan

Real Name
    Chris

Hi Tommy,

I think Johan was referring to circular filters where, unless you get the super thins, you could well suffer from vignetting at 10mm if you stack with a UV (but then why would you?).

You say you already have and use the Cokin system and that you get this problem at 10-12mm. I suggest you get the Wide Angle filter holder (only takes one filter). I find this only gives a modicum of vignetting at 10mm which disappears at 11mm, certainly not enough to warrant the expense of the Z-System.

Be prepared for long wait for your Lee Big Stopper. It's unlikely you will find on a shelf and I think Lee are offering 3 months wait at the moment.

Real Name
    Trace

Just a thought... If you think you will ever want to pair your 10-stop nd with a grad nd then I'd strongly suggest being strategic now and investing in the Lee holder system and drop-in filters instead of buying a circular 10 stop. The circular gnd's really don't offer the flexibility of the drop-ins. I started with a B&W soft gnd and 10 stop nd in the circular filters but became frustrated and started afresh with drop-in filters. Painful on the pocket... But if you are not interested in grad nds then it wouldn't be a concern.

Real Name
    Terry

And another theory.

If you are using a 10 stopper, you will most likely need to frame your shot, set focus, etc. before you apply the filter to the front of your lens.

So one consideration would be which type will be easiest for you.

Myself, I don't always get the threads lined up on the first try when screwing on a filter.

Real Name
    Tommy

Chris, Trace, Terry... Some excellent points there... Thank you for those. You've certainly given me a few things to think about that I hadn't actually considered.

My B'day is at the end of November so maybe I can get some joint purchasing going on and get a few people to contribute to a good filter system...

insert *fingers crossed smiley* here...

Real Name
    Nigel

Perhaps see if you can try them first. I have had two different makes and sent them back because of really heavy colour cast. I've not bothered with another.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by NigelD View Post
    Perhaps see if you can try them first. I have had two different makes and sent them back because of really heavy colour cast. I've not bothered with another.
    Hi Nigel,
    Lee Big Stopper seems to be the favourite although the colour cast is something you are inevitably going to get. The problem is that this will vary from filter to filter, even with the same brand. Normally, it's pretty easily fixed in Photoshop, but if you get a bad one ....

Real Name
    Brian

where do you get a 10 stop nd filter?

Real Name
    Damien Kraut

I bought a Hitech Pro Stop filter, it's said to have a blue cast but thats easily fixable in Photoshop. Also this is the newer version so that cast is'nt so bad as the older version.

I tried using it today and I wasnt impressed witht he results, not sure what i was doing wrong but I tried doing a long exposure in broad daylight and could only go 89 seconds before the image was totally blown out!

Any ideas?

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Mongwopman View Post
    I tried using it today and I wasnt impressed witht he results, not sure what i was doing wrong but I tried doing a long exposure in broad daylight and could only go 89 seconds before the image was totally blown out!

Any ideas?
    Erm... This is probably the way I would first approach using a 10-stop filter....

Leave the filter in the bag and setup the camera. Select manual mode, choose the appropriate aperture for the DOF you want and select the lowest ISO value on the camera. Next select the shutter speed that is going to expose the shot as you desire. Let's say the shutter speed is 1/60 sec. Attach the filter and decrease the shutter speed by 10 stops...

(1) 1/60 (2) 1/30 (3) 1/15 (4) 1/8 (5) 1/4 (6) 1/2 (7) 1 sec (8) 2 sec (9) 4 sec (10) 8 sec

So try it at 8 seconds. Check the results and increase or decrease the shutter speed depending on whether it is under or over exposed. If you want a longer shutter speed then all you can really do is decrease the aperture.

Real Name
    Johan J Ingles-Le Nobel

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Let's say the shutter speed is 1/60 sec. Attach the filter and decrease the shutter speed by 10 stops...

(1) 1/60 (2) 1/30 (3) 1/15 (4) 1/8 (5) 1/4 (6) 1/2 (7) 1 sec (8) 2 sec (9) 4 sec (10) 8 sec

So try it at 8 seconds.
    Fyi - your maths is out by 1 stop. For 1/60 it becomes 15s. I personally always find it easiest to remember that 1/30 becomes 30s, and adjust in my head from there. Also, bear in mind that ND110s arn't always precisely 10 stops. I've found mine to be almost 11.

Real Name
    Damien Kraut

The way i setup was setup the camera on tripod, AV mode, took a meter reading naturally without the filter on. Checked all settings, ISO 100, F11, WB set at daylight etc. Slipped in the 10 stop filter and changed to manual and dialed in bulb as shutter (as i wanted to manually release)

According to my exposure sheet a 1/125 was 8 seconds which was right, but how could I get it to go longer? I wanted to make the water in the shot completely ghost like, which would require a much longer exposure. Im guessing my f-stop was'nt correct.

Real Name
    Johan J Ingles-Le Nobel

Use a higher f stop and lowest ISO? Mine are usually between 1m and 4m

Real Name
    Damien Kraut

Lowest ISO on Canon 400D is 100. I figured it was probably my F stop! DAMMIT!

Real Name
    Jeroen

Quote Originally Posted by Mongwopman View Post
    The way i setup was setup the camera on tripod, AV mode, took a meter reading naturally without the filter on. Checked all settings, ISO 100, F11, WB set at daylight etc. Slipped in the 10 stop filter and changed to manual and dialed in bulb as shutter (as i wanted to manually release)

According to my exposure sheet a 1/125 was 8 seconds which was right, but how could I get it to go longer? I wanted to make the water in the shot completely ghost like, which would require a much longer exposure. Im guessing my f-stop was'nt correct.
    As suggested you should close down your aperture for a longer exposure. In the photograph Tommy referred to I used f/16 to get the 60s exposure. Sometimes I even go to f/22, it all depends on what I want the water or sky to look like.
    Besides that I almost always use a polarizer in combination with the 10 stops. Effectively that 12 stops of light decrements and the polarizer gives me more control for the look of skies and water.

@ Tommy, Firstly I'm very glad you like my photograph you mentioned :-).
    What camera are you using? If it's a crop factor camera you don't have to worry about vignetting whatsoever (although when investing quite some money in filters you also want to be sure the combination works for a full frame camera when you might upgrade).

Real Name
    Damien Kraut

I plan on doing another run this week at some point. Will update with the results.

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Nass View Post
    Fyi - your maths is out by 1 stop. For 1/60 it becomes 15s. I personally always find it easiest to remember that 1/30 becomes 30s, and adjust in my head from there. Also, bear in mind that ND110s arn't always precisely 10 stops. I've found mine to be almost 11.
    Yes, you're right... I only did 9 stops! Silly me!

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    @ Tommy, Firstly I'm very glad you like my photograph you mentioned :-).
    What camera are you using? If it's a crop factor camera you don't have to worry about vignetting whatsoever (although when investing quite some money in filters you also want to be sure the combination works for a full frame camera when you might upgrade).
    Hey Jereon, I am using a Nikon D90 and the widest lens I have is the Sigma 10-20mm...

...I would like to invest in a good filter set like the Lee system, but not sure if I would need the larger 150mm filters rather than the standard 100mm...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast