Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Content on swing

Real Name
    Erik

Content on swing

Hi Everyone,

It has been way too long since I have posted.
    Below is my wife contently enjoying a childhood memory on a swing.
    I would appreciate your comments on the exposure. I have done some PP on exposure, brightness and white balance. It was a cloudy grey day.

Content on swing

My next step is figure out this monitor calibration thing. Stay tuned for that posting.

Thanks for viewing

Erik

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Content on swing

The chains make it nice and interesting. The bottom of her shoe kinda pulls my eyes off though. Your wife has a nice expression that matches the memory theme

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Erik,

I am also on an uncalibrated monitor, but I do have some faith in it (Colin may say that's mis-placed )

On WB, it looks too warm (red) to me, the sky isn't neutral compared to the border, which I haven't checked, but assume is white. This is also causing the skin tones to be quite saturated.

On exposure, I think the sky is quite a way down from white, leading to the whole image being duller than need be, the white border only emphasises the effect.

The brightness looks OK to me, but that may alter if you were to address the other points.
    Was the sky blown in the caprture?
    I ask because I can't, by eye online, detect any detail there, but that could be partly down to a narrow DoF.

Focus appears to be on the second set of chains, the ones roughly inline with her head, yet her eyes don't seem as sharp as the might be - I think I'd give them a little selective 'help' in PP to get the catchlight sharper, but be careful not to over do it.

EXIF: 1/1500 @ f/9.5, iso280 and 105mm on Nikon D7000, viewers should click to see it at full 1280 x 800px.

If you're unsure of your monitor, do make sure you use the histogram in PP as confirmation the image is where it ought to be (on histogram) before things like borders are applied which hide what's going on.

I generally like the composition (I might slightly move the crop to place a chain going exactly into the top right corner though) and you've captured her mood well, but I do wonder whether your wife feels the same about the angle of view.

Cheers (and welcome back),

Real Name
    Brian

Looks pretty great to me, a definite keeper. I might try to crop out the shoe as Mike suggested.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I note the various points made above. But in conceptual and compositional terms, this is excellent. From the placing of your wife in the frame to the rotation it works very, very well.