Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: CyberLink PowerDirector 9

Real Name
    Ron

CyberLink PowerDirector 9

Maybe a little 'off focus' in CiC but still photography.
    Question: Does anyone use this (or other) video/stills editing programme? I have downloaded a trial for consideration instead of what I have been using ... being the free Windows Live Movie Maker and Audacity (sound) programmes ... though I may still continue to use Audacity, its brilliant.

PowerDirector 9 is competing with eg Photoshop Premiere Elements which I may also trial later before making my decision. I use PSE8 presently for photo processing so it could make sense to 'keep it in the family' by purchasing Premiere Elements. But I am very impressed with PD9.

Views on any current video editing products/experiences would be helpful to me.
    Thanks

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: CyberLink PowerDirector 9

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    video editing products/experiences would be helpful to me.
    Video! Is that the new-fangled thingy that's replacing 8mm film?

Sorry, Ron. Out of my depth on this one.

Real Name
    Ron

No mate, not 8mm ... but you must recall those boxed 'flick pics' entitled 'what the butler saw' etc at the fun fairs Video's are a modern way to avoid turning the handle to make the pics flick

Got it? Goodnight sir and please do not send us any more rain and wind ... our party tent blew away last night! If you spot it then please rescue

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Ron I went through this process some months ago and settled on Adobe Premier Elements 9 and I have been very happy with it. I had previously used a much earlier version on SD video but needed to upgrade to full HD editing. I use it on video files from my Nikon P300 which I use as a pocketable still/video camera.

I also tried PD9 and thought it was pretty good too. So do a lot of other people I believe. It has a feature where it can process edited video files into a movie without re-rendering if the file characteristics are staying the same. eg 1080i video to 1080i video. Note however that it only caters for a limited number of options with this feature.

I'd suggest you try them both and decide which one you feel most comfortable with.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Ron

Thank Dave ... nice to hear from a fellow Aussie ... I'm ex Melb, now in Norway.

I plan to try both but one of the factors in favour of PD9 is its 64bit handling and ability to max out powerful processors (I have the i7 Sandy Bridge) so as to speed up the processing. But no doubt both products are about to release 'versions 10' with yet more goodies ... think I might stick to '9 'though since hopefully most bugs will have been ironed out.

Great fun making 'movies' don't you think. Hope to see you on the 'big screen' one day

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Ron I haven't left the land of 32 bit yet but one of these days ... Sounds like you have some powerful processing power there which will be good for editing full hd video.

Yes I quite like editing video and stills into a movie (had a Bluray burner for a while now) but the only big screen you might see me on is the big one at the footy! Do you get the AFL in Norway ?

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Ron

AFL in Norway is a bit hit & miss watching, though we do have a Eurosport channel that broadcasts some. Of course, if one wants to part with bread then anything is possible via the satellites.

The video's that I have been 'playing with' have included a few holiday's, a wedding which I am very pleased with and now I am making a 50 min stills/video about my grandson in Aussie. It is good fun but does suck a lot of processing power/memory which is why I decided to 'go for broke!' But of course you need good video and pics ingredients to start with ... and 4.7GB dvd's fill up real quick when you add the smart stuff such as transitions etc.

Even though I am a fully retired fellow I wish I had more time to indulge with all these toys