Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kenko Pro 300 DGX 1.4

Real Name
    Paul

Kenko Pro 300 DGX 1.4

Anyone have any experience using this extender for Canon? Apparently it works with the 70-300L where the canon extenders do not. If it works well then i have one more thing to add to my wishlist. My wife is going to kill me.

Paul

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Kenko Pro 300 DGX 1.4

Paul,

I own the Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 "DG" AF 2x version, and while I can't say it is the best TC ever, it certainly works for me. I use it a lot for making my macro shots have even more magnification. When used with the flash, I don't notice the 2 stop loss of light - mainly because I just make the flash compensate for it.

When I first got it, I felt it had poor quality, but it was simply me not being able to use it properly. After improving my technique, I find it pretty decent.

I would assume that the Canon TC is better quality, but as you've said - it only works with specific lenses. I do like the flexibility of this TC to work with pretty much any EF lens. Just remember that you might lose AF functionality with it.

- Bill

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Kenko Pro 300 DGX 1.4

I found on another forum that apparently because the 70-300 was designed to not work with canon extenders and is missing the two pins which let it communicate through the extender it does not shut down autofocus when using the Kenko. Strangely someone else reports that communication through the extendor seems to work despite the loss of pins and the camera correctly reports the focal length and aperture.

here is a link to the discussion on dpreview
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=38905065

Paul