Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Stone Breaking Machine

Stone Breaking Machine

Another item from this year's vintage machinery show.

Stone Breaking Machine

I know some of you like to see old machinery.

And here is a close up of the nameplate.

Stone Breaking Machine

It was a dull day with slight light coming from the right side which made exposure difficult. So I've done what I can with editing; although it would probably have been quicker to turn the stone crusher around.

In Victorian times, stones were broken up by prisoners with hammers at the Dartmoor Jail. This machine was probably more efficient, providing you don't take the purchase price into the equation.

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Stone Breaking Machine

What a cool machine! Does it just make big rocks into smaller rocks, or can it fully crush
    them into dust or small, sand sized particles (like an ore crusher)?

Mike

It wasn't working at that time, Mike, but looking at the pieces in the outlet ramp I assume it produces aggregate or large gravel sized chunks for adding to concrete or laying a foundation layer.

I have heard about these machines previously but this is the first one which I have seen.

Incidentally, there was also one of those 'tarmac thumpers' with an internal petrol motor; before the days of compressed air impactors. I will add a photo later.

And amongst the non agricultural exhibits were some outboard motors with one dating from 1920. They always have vintage tractors working in the next field so I took plenty of photos of that as well. I'm still sorting through the last of my shots.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 5th September 2011 at 08:42 PM.

And following on from the stone crusher here is another piece of roadbuilding equipment. A Toe Crusher.

Stone Breaking Machine

This must have required a muscular, and careful, operator.