Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I'm fixing a hole....

Real Name
    Ron

I'm fixing a hole....

Where the thieves get in.Saw this unique way of reparing a hole in a chain link fence and decided to take a photo of it.Thought it might make an interesting b&w image so i'm posting it up here for some C&C.Thanks for viewing...Ron

I'm fixing a hole....

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: I'm fixing a hole....

Overkill. If they can cut through the fence like that, the lock is no deterrent.

But we are talking pics hehe.

Frankly do not know what to make of it. Nice shot and the b&w conversion does give it a sort of ominous look.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ron,

As a photo, it is a shame the dark chain merges (in tone) with the background so well on the right.

I wondered if the use of flash, from right hand side, to hopefully get a reflection illumination on the shape of the links would help, but that's probably asking a bit much for an opportunist shot

Hi Bobo,
    Overkill
    - maybe, but what were the alternatives?
    Do nothing - leaving an 'open invitation', or use Ty-wraps; little better (easier to cut than the fence).
    At least this forces the same/other theives to 'start over' elsewhere on the fence.
    Perhaps there's a 'gap in the market' for an entreprenuer (sp?) to sell chainlink fence repair kits to security firms

But as you rightly say, we're talking photography

Real Name
    Ian

Who says the intruder didnt 'repair' the fence and still holds the key for later convenience

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Who says the intruder didnt 'repair' the fence and still holds the key for later convenience
    Yup, good point Ian

Real Name
    Ron

Thanks everyone for the comments.As far as any one choosing to break in to this fenced in area,it probably won't do them any good as the store has been empty for a while.
    @Dave:I"ll go back and try it with my on camera flash as i do not have any other flash devices at the present moment.That area was a concern of mine also and my attempt at masking and creating a seperate b&w of that thin strip of dark color looked really bad.Maybe a slight dodging of the chain on that side might give it some seperation.Thanks again for all the input...Ron

Real Name
    Wendy

I like this simply as a photograph, but then if you want to spend some time thinking about it this could also be a social commentary shot or a symbolic shot (viewer picks the symbol) or just plain humourous. It's a very versatile shot and I like it a lot.

I would not have noticed the dark blend between fence and background on the right, but that's why I'm a member here so I can learn to spot these things better, and now that Dave has pointed it out, well... exactly what he said, if you could go back and reshoot I think it would be worth it.

Wendy

Real Name
    Andrew

I like it! I like the contrast, the intention, the lighting, everything! I've submitted photos of locks and chains previously, and this one conquers all of mine. I really like it.
    Nice job Ron.

Real Name
    Ron

Thanks Wendy and Andrew.Your comments are always appreciated.

Real Name
    Keith

An amusing and well spotted shot, a good conversion and it grabs the attention without worrying about technicalities. Like it loads

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    An amusing and well spotted shot, a good conversion and it grabs the attention without worrying about technicalities. Like it loads
    Thanks Keith.That's exactly what it done when i was walking to get some breakfast.It grab my attention and begged to be photographed.