Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with .... Yan Zhang

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

In conversation with... Yan Zhang

CiC: Thanks very much for agreeing to be involved in this interview

My pleasure.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history - anything interesting?

Well, I am a computer scientist and have been working in university in last 16 years. When I was young, I always felt that art was something in my heart, but I didn't know how to approach this subject. At age of 36 (1999), I started to learn piano (at the same time as my twin daughters), I practiced 11 years piano and passed grade 7 exam a few years ago.

And what about your family life?

I have a happy family life. My wife was my university classmate, and we have married for 22 years. We have two twin girls. They are 18 years old and will have university exam by the end of this year.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

Good question! I will continue reading my favourite book "History of Australia and New Zealand" by Alexander and George Sutherland - this book is with me all the time. I love history and also love Australia and New Zealand. So I enjoying reading the history of these two countries.

I always said to people that I am 80% vegetarian, but I found it was very difficult to keep this 80%. If possible, tonight I would have a lamb shank as my main meal (as an exception) and plus a glass of red wine.

EDITOR'S PICK #1

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

I like music, especially classic music. As I mentioned just now, I practiced piano for 11 years, from age 36. But I stopped practicing couple of years ago, as I felt my hands were not flexible enough to play some advanced pieces.

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

While I have been occasionally taking photos since 1993, I was never serious about photography until 2007 when I got my first DSLR camera - a Canon 400D. I spent about 2 years trying to master some basic techniques about photography. Then from 2009, I think, I started to get some personal ideas and preferences in photography. So precisely speaking, I would say that I have been a photographer since 2009.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

Basically, I only take landscape photographs, because I have a deep passion in the beauty of nature. I am not saying I don't like other kinds of photography. I just feel that landscape photography is my first interest, and I prefer to put my efforts into this.

While I am taking shots, I am very focused. In fact, more often, I don't feel that I am taking pictures, instead, I am playing with light and various elements (subjects) in the field. I really enjoy this feeling.

Any particular photographic influences?

I must say that Colin (from CiC) was the first photographer who truly inspired me. I got to know his works from "photo net" initially.

Then I learned many detailed photographic theories and techniques from him through many personal communications and CiC forums. I remembered that my landscape photography filter system was built based on Colin's detailed instructions. I used to ask him a lot of basic Photoshop questions two years ago:-)

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

As an amateur photographer, I don't have a specific goal in my landscape photography. But I do hope to make outstanding landscape photographs that would be enjoyed by general audience as well as be recognised by professionals.

I established my personal photography website in September 2010. Now I am gradually getting some purchase orders of my photographs.

In the future, I may consider participating in some high standard international photography competitions.

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I think CiC is a wonderful photography website. One unique feature of this site is that it has both tutorial part and forum part, which are very useful to accommodate people's various interests.

I have looked a number of different photography web sites, I think CiC forum has two good features that other sites do not have at the same time: one is "Tips and Techniques" which is very helpful; the other is "Monthly and Other Competitions". I noted that since 2011, each monthly photo competition has attracted many submissions and many of them were in very high standard.

I think these two things may become CiC's unique feature to stand out among other photography sites.
    CiC may consider to promote these features further in the future.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Well, to be honest, I am an early person: I go to bed very early and get up very early. I usually don't do any serious Photoshop work at night. Most of the time, I edit my photos over the weekend while I do not work.

EDITOR'S PICK #2

I have to ask this. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

I use Canon cameras. I have 5D Mark II, and 400D which I still use from time to time. I have 16-35 mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. I use Photoshop CS5.

Itís a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

Well, this is really a tough question. Put in this way, my university colleagues think I am an artist, while
    professional photographers think I am a scientist, just joking. Honestly, I view myself as an enthusiastic unprofessional landscape photographer. My skill is probably just
    in an average level.

By the way, I must add the word "landscape" in front of "photographic skill", because I really don't have much knowledge in other types of photography such as people and wildlife. However, I feel I should have potentials to improve my landscape photography standard. I have many ideas and plans for my landscape photography
    in next 12 months, and I wish I could produce couple of high standard landscape photographs by the time I complete my these plans.

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

Given the rapid development of current digital technology, it is quite hard to imagine. By 2020, maybe we will have digital cameras with very high resolution such as 40MP or more for normal DSLR cameras with much better HDR and high ISO noise handling. Yes, I think I will still own one.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

Yes. In my university, I am leading a research group called Intelligent Systems Laboratory (ISL), where many of the group members have become interested in photography under my influence. From time to time, I organise a kind of photography workshop to take my group members for out shooting.

Another tough one for you do you consider photography to be art?

Yes. But I also think photography contains a lot of elements of science. As a computer scientist, I believe my general scientific sense really helps me to understand photography theories, and improve my photography practice.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

I am not serious for this. In fact, I rarely take photos of myself. Most of the time, whenever it is needed, my wife or my girls take photos for me.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

I would say that originality is the most important thing for photography, just like that in scientific research.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

The Lone Man:

This piece is very special to me in several aspects: it was taken on January 1, 2010 - the first day of 2010; it won several awards for me in different photography competitions; this photo was also the first piece been sold in an art exhibition held in 2010.

Moonlight:

This piece is also quite special to me: Firstly this photo was taken in the one of the most difficult situations I have ever experienced both from a photography technique viewpoint as well as a personal physical challenge; secondly I think that this photo or the way I made it also reflects my personal feeling to nature: tranquil and beauty.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably donít know?

Well, I am a big fun of Bruce Lee. I collected all of his movies and many documentary films and books about him.

Yan, it has been a pleasure to have you involved in this 'In conversation with ...' series. Thank you for taking the time to take part.

Thanks very much, and nice to talk with you.

Read all the other interviews in the series by going to this link

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: In conversation with .... Yan Zhang

Thanks for taking part Yan - great interview!

My cunning plan to find out more about the elusive Professor Zhang worked perfectly

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Yan thanks for sharing "your story". It's always interesting to hear about the person behind the images. I do admire your work with landscapes - very creative and very original. Keep it going please

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Chris

Watch out Yan, I think Colin may be stalking you...

Colin, you have done a lot to me over the last several years. In fact your name has become so familiar to all my family members and my close friends

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Thanks for taking part Yan - great interview!

My cunning plan to find out more about the elusive Professor Zhang worked perfectly

Dave, thanks for your warm words.

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Yan thanks for sharing "your story". It's always interesting to hear about the person behind the images. I do admire your work with landscapes - very creative and very original. Keep it going please

Cheers Dave

Chris, thanks for look at this interview. I would like to go for photography with Colin in New Zealand next time.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffstriker View Post

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by hoffstriker View Post
    Nah - I'm going to wait until Yan is here in NZ - then I'll quickly fly to Australia and cut down that darn tree of his!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Zhang View Post
    Colin, you have done a lot to me over the last several years. In fact your name has become so familiar to all my family members and my close friends
    That's good (I think!). In Nelson a few use my name as a swear word though!

Real Name
    Lon Howard

I have enjoyed your story very much, Yan. There is great balance to your life, and your photography journey should inspire me because I have the same two cameras as yourself, one of the lens you mention, the same editing program and got my first DSLR at about the same time; and lamb is my favorite meal. I think I should now hit the books, as you have done. I eagerly look forward to more of your work!

Real Name
    Chris

As a stalwart fan, I am so pleased to get to know a little more about you...just love your work.

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Yan, I have yet to meet you or talk to you in these forums, but I have looked at and studied your pictures that you have posted in the competitions.

The photographs that you have posted here at CiC are among my favorites. You, Colin, and many others here give me something to shoot for in improving my own photography.

KHarmon

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Yan,

I am a huge fan of your landscape shots. They are simply outstanding. Its interesting to know more about you.

Ps:- Save your tree.

Real Name
    António Correia

It is always interesting to know something personal about who makes these magnificent images.

You do have a great work indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    I have enjoyed your story very much, Yan. There is great balance to your life, and your photography journey should inspire me because I have the same two cameras as yourself, one of the lens you mention, the same editing program and got my first DSLR at about the same time; and lamb is my favorite meal. I think I should now hit the books, as you have done. I eagerly look forward to more of your work!
    Dear Lon,

Thanks for your kind words. Although I have been mostly using 5D Mark II, I still find 400D is useful in various situations, especially I want to shoot something close-up. I wish you enjoy all your gears.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    As a stalwart fan, I am so pleased to get to know a little more about you...just love your work.

Dear Chris, Thanks for enjoying my photos and I also enjoy many people's works in CiC forum.

Quote Originally Posted by KHarmon View Post
    Yan, I have yet to meet you or talk to you in these forums, but I have looked at and studied your pictures that you have posted in the competitions.

The photographs that you have posted here at CiC are among my favorites. You, Colin, and many others here give me something to shoot for in improving my own photography.

KHarmon
    Dear Kris, thanks! We all learn from others works.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Yan,

I am a huge fan of your landscape shots. They are simply outstanding. Its interesting to know more about you.

Ps:- Save your tree.

Hi Sahil, nice to hear from you and thanks for your warm words. Yes, I will put a great effort to protect my tree

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    It is always interesting to know something personal about who makes these magnificent images.

You do have a great work indeed
    Hi Antonio, I agree with you. Something personal may tell more behind the images

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Thank you very much for the inspiration when you shared things about you and your photography, Yan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast