Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fiery dervish

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Fiery dervish

Just having a clean-up 'bonnie' of some old fallen gum tree bits and pieces. The swirling, almost corkscrew effect, of the flames caught my eye, and so......
    Thanks for viewing and any c&c you might wish to offer
    old ucci

Fiery dervish

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Fiery dervish

Hi Ken, I have tried to take some neat fire pics myself. I have not figured out how to make them as interesting in photos as they are in person. In this case, perhaps a faster shutter speed would have captured the shape better? Did you take other photos? In this photo, the interest to me is the flame surrounding the brush, not the flames above the brush pile? I can't tell you why that is though, so I don't think I've been much help. Maybe it's just tough to take fire pics in the daylight?

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Hi Ken, I have tried to take some neat fire pics myself. I have not figured out how to make them as interesting in photos as they are in person. In this case, perhaps a faster shutter speed would have captured the shape better? Did you take other photos? In this photo, the interest to me is the flame surrounding the brush, not the flames above the brush pile? I can't tell you why that is though, so I don't think I've been much help. Maybe it's just tough to take fire pics in the daylight?
    Hi Brian
    Yes I agree. The actual fire and what I saw was far more dramatic than the captured image. I took quite a few pictures most of which I discarded. The only other one I kept was this one. You are probably quite right in your assessment that taking a picture of flames and fire is not an easy thing to do.
    Cheers
    Ken

Fiery dervish

Real Name
    Brian

Hey Ken,
    Looking at the different crop makes me realize that isn't the crop at all that seems off to me.
    It's the lack of separation of the flames, and the bright sky in the corners.
    So, I did a quick edit. It was fun for me to do, as I've not done a whole lot of it. Basically I created an overlay layer to increase contrast, did some selective darkening around the flames to reduce attention to the grass, and did some sharpening. I imagine the background is further from what it really looked like, but the flames may be closer to what you remember?

Fiery dervish

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Great job Brian! That's the effect I was trying to capture! Thank you for that.
    ken

Real Name
    Brian

Glad you like. Keep shooting

Real Name
    John Wright

The first shot looks like the beginning of a so-called 'fire tornado' but properly called a 'fire whirl' Ken. Akin to 'dust devils' Air is drawn in as the heated air rises. and the flames start to rotate. This is what can happen with large fires. http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=i...l1600l3.9l12l0