Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Band Photoshoot

Band Photoshoot

I had a friend at work today ask me if I could take some photos of him and his band. I've only taken Landscape and Nature shots, some candid shots of friends at parties. So I'm very new to this kind of photography.

The equipment I have:
    Nikon D90 w/ AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm Lens, 50mm Lens & 70 -300mm Lens & remote.
    Vivitar 283 Flash which was originally used with a 35mm Nikon camera I have
    36" Cameron Reflector
    Tripod

Not sure how to go about it, I have a rough idea of what I want to do. I'm more concerned with the lighting.

Is the flash and reflector enough to work with? I've been looking at lighting kits (light stands, umbrellas, soft box) Is it something I really need?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Band Photoshoot

The 18-105 is a good lens but pretty slow. I like the 50mm for this type of shooting though I tend to use my 35mm...which I see you do not carry. It's a good and worthwhile lens for small bands. I only use the available light as I am simply not a flash fan...prehaps someday i will learn to shoot in that mode again, but for now, will go with whatever is available...anyway, I like the colored gels.

Thanks for the input, I'd use my 35mm, which I really miss using, but is in for repairs, when I develop my film, i barely see any of the shot, most of the photos are burnt out, I don't know why

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Lena Anne,

Are the band posing for you, or have you been invited to a gig?

If the former, you may have less performance lighting available (unless they do their own), but the chance to get them where there is more (natural?) light perhaps?

If a gig, and no choice of which venue, you may be more limited.

As Chris, I'd recommend either no flash, or, if possible, perhaps a tiny amount of fill to lift shadows - but I am guessing how I might try it here, not speaking from experience.

Good luck,