Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon EOS 1000D

Real Name
    Angelique

Canon EOS 1000D

I got this camera as a gift (my first SLR), and was just wondering whether anyone else on here has the same one? Also, any thoughts on this particular model?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Canon EOS 1000D

Angelique

Hopefully some 1000D users will see this and give you their views.

In the meantime, have you looked at any of the camera review sites? You will also see lots of opinion on those pages. Three examples are:
    dpreview
    Trusted Reviews
    whatdigitalcamera

Real Name
    Richard

Hi Angelique...

Welcome to Cambridge in Colour.

I don't use the 1000D but I use several other Canon DSLR which accept the same lenses and accessories. The 1000D is quite a capable camera and you should be able to shoot very decent images using it.

What lens is your camera equipped with? I suspect that it is the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. Many photographers use clear or UV filters to protect their lenses. In fact there is a tutorial on this subject (see photography tutorials). One accessory which I don't consider an accessory at all, but mandatory equipment, is a lens hood to protect your lens from flare and to go a long way to protect it from physical damage. Most Camera companies provide lens hoods with their lenses but Canon (to make some extra money) doesn't provide hoods for any but, their most expensive lenses. The hoods sold by Canon are very expensive but, you can get third party hoods (usually produced in China) for a fraction of the cost Canon charges. I get my hoods from eBay and they work just as well as the Canon original equipment... I don't know what the situation is for eBay in South Africa but, here is an example of a low priced hood on the USA eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EW-60C-Lens-...item3a61aba65e

Here is a review of the 1000D which might provide some information.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1000d/

Additionally, if you have the manual, I suggest that you read it cover to cover and then if there are portions which are unclear to you, post your questions on this forum. Don't worry about asking basic queations. Our members are quite friendly and we will help you all that we can. If you don't have the manual, it is available in PDF format on the Canon web Site;

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/...lxs_manual.pdf

Upload the Canon program which comes on the disk that accompanies the camera. This program will allow you to download images from your camera and also work with those images in post processing.

I also recommend several things to get into the habit of doing.

1. Get a card reader and transfer your images from the camera to your computer using the reader. This is saferand faster than downloading directly from your camera to the computer....
    2. After your images are safetly downloaded to the computer (IT's great to also have some sort of back-up system), format your card in your camera (the manual will tell you how to do this - it is quite simple...
    3. Recharge your battery. The Canon batteries do not have a memory so it is O.K. to recharge them after only a slight discharge...

You will find a plethora of information on various facets of digital photography in the Photography Tutorials of this web site. You will also find quite a bit of information by doing a google search with "basic digital photography" as your earch parameters.

Have fun with your camera and let us know how you are progressing...

regards,
    Richard

Real Name
    John

Hi Angelique
    I have a 1000D and like you it is my first DSLR. I am happy with the camera but I have found thaat the kit lenses (18-55 and 75-300) fall a litte short. I have upgraded my main lens to a 15-85 and am more than happy with that. As a entry level camera I find it more than adequate.
    Hope this helps
    John

Real Name
    Angelique

Thanks for the replies. Yes Richard, I have the 18-55mm zoom lens. I have read through the manual, but haven't really tested everything in there, as I haven't had much time. I have just finished my first module and assignment (got 9/10 for the assignment, happy with my mark), on lenses and accessories, and saving up for another lens. Not too sure yet what I should get, but I do not want to rush my decision. John, thanks for the opinion on the 15-85mm. Busy learning about Apeture, ISO and shutter speed now, so today I started to mess around with the settings on my camera, and trying different things. So much better than a normal point and shoot.