Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Dull Afternoon

Real Name
    Philip

A Dull Afternoon

Today I tried to find something striking and/or colourful, during a brief visit to Marlow on Thames under a threatening sky. Hope someone finds at least one of these interesting!

A suspended span - Marlow Bridge:

A Dull Afternoon

The red box and the road bridge:

A Dull Afternoon

Two golden hours (almost) - the church tower between trees:

A Dull Afternoon
    (This was a striking shot two minutes later.)

A street sign - strikes me as being rather silly:

A Dull Afternoon

Thank you for looking - comments welcome.

Philip

Real Name
    Myra

Re: A Dull Afternoon

I like the second shot the best. Did you consider converting it to b&w and leaving the the phonebox a with some colour? Except for a few days, we've had the dreary, overcast sky for most of the summer. I know what you mean about wanting to find some pops of colour.

Real Name
    Debbie

I like the second shot also, good suggestion to convert to B & W but keep the colour red in the phone box. Nice images.
    Deb

Real Name
    Philip

Thank you Myra and Debbie. My PP skills are quite limited, so I don't know the correct way to implement your interesting idea. However, I found an effect setting in my software (Corel Paintshop) that seems to achieve what you both suggest:

A Dull Afternoon

Philip

Real Name
    Keith

I've seen many shots of Marlow bridge Philip but the underneath is a first for me so full marks for seeking out something new. I've looked long and hard at the full colour and 'popped' versions with the phone box and I still can't make up my mind Perhaps some selective saturation, burning and dodging, especially in the foliage and sky, would enhance both versions. That road sign certainly is daft isn't it

Keith

Real Name
    Myra

Getting there! Could you decrease the opacity of the booth without it turning pink and then darken the sky to give it an ominous look? (burn, replace...?) It could be that I am destroying the whole purpose of your image, so feel free to ignore all suggestions, especially since it's 5 in the morning and sleep evades me. Also, I could be having Dr. Who flashbacks

Real Name
    Philip

Thank you Myra and Keith. I will just have to keep at it - trying to learn and understand what all those terms mean, what the controls in the software do, and how to use them to improve images.

Philip