Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Love and Vanity

Love and Vanity

I have being going for vivid, vibrant colour splashes on these. Raylee (Camelia) introduced me to the work of some contemporary Australian artists and I was very taken with how some of these artists use vivid colours to express their mood.

Love at Sunset

Love and Vanity

Vanity

Love and Vanity

Re: Love and Vanity

These are both wonderful! Wonderful! (Well, I think so, anyway.) The second one, particularly. It's really fascinating but....I....er....I don't get it. That's probably because I'm very distracted and shouldn't even be commenting - I've got to go. There's so much to explore in it, though, and it's making me want to figure it out. Also, I can't get enough of your daughter's beautiful face - her eyes are so expressive. Well, it will probably all clunk into place as I'm doing some last things before the storm comes.

heh, heh. Is it bad if I say that the first kind of reminds me of eighties "Vans" shirts (clothing - surfer dude clothing).

Real Name
    Joe

Very cool! 2nd one would look really cool framed and hung in my office. Very well done!

Real Name
    Rob

I like different, and I like these!

I had a look at your Flickr, and you have a very crisp, clean style. These are a departure from your normal style, but a very cool departure!
    Nice work Steve, show us more...

Real Name
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    These are both wonderful! Wonderful! (Well, I think so, anyway.) The second one, particularly. It's really fascinating but....I....er....I don't get it.... There's so much to explore in it, though, and it's making me want to figure it out.... Well, it will probably all clunk into place as I'm doing some last things before the storm comes....
    Whenever I view abstract or semi-abstract images, including some of my own, I am tempted to try and "figure it out." I want to "understand" and to analyze the symbolism.

Then I come to my senses:
    If a realistic image, say a hauntingly beautiful landscape, evokes in me a strong response, I don't get the urge to analyze. The landscape simply IS as it is, and it speaks to me just because of its "isness" or "suchness." I simply look at it and I marvel. That is an approach I have gradually learned to apply to all images. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by waha View Post
    Whenever I view abstract or semi-abstract images, including some of my own, I am tempted to try and "figure it out." I want to "understand" and to analyze the symbolism.

Then I come to my senses:
    If a realistic image, say a hauntingly beautiful landscape, evokes in me a strong response, I don't get the urge to analyze. The landscape simply IS as it is, and it speaks to me just because of its "isness" or "suchness." I simply look at it and I marvel. That is an approach I have gradually learned to apply to all images. Works for me.
    Very good point! but, but, but,.... I like to figure things out and interpret them! I might even be driven to do it... Sometimes, it's a little scary to just let go and let something speak without words. It's like what the person is saying is getting in "the back door" in a way or into a place that's very personal. - it's just a thought - not a finished thought - don't know what I'm saying - from an exhausted girly and, now, it's pouring rain outside. Goodnight!

Thanks for your comments.

I had a look at your Flickr, and you have a very crisp, clean style. These are a departure from your normal style, but a very cool departure!
    I have had a break from photography for a couple of weeks or more. I decided to have a go at all kinds of stuff.

Katy, you know my aim is to provoke the viewer to think their own thoughts and I know you always do. I think what Wayne may be getting at is analysing the thoughts of the artist so there is probably a misunderstanding there. Having said that you always do a great job of guaging my mood from my work. I love it when I post a depressing or confused image and I get that PM or e-mail asking "whats up". It is a great test as to whether my images contain a little bit of me.

Sometimes, it's a little scary to just let go and let something speak without words.
    That fear is always there and I think mastering it is essential if we want to develop our photography beyond artisan aethetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Katy, you know my aim is to provoke the viewer to think their own thoughts and I know you always do. I think what Wayne may be getting at is analysing the thoughts of the artist so there is probably a misunderstanding there.
    I know....I got what he was saying... it's a good thought. I just saw it in a quirky twist of the light. We really need a 'tongue in cheek - I'm messing with you' smiley!

Having said that you always do a great job of guaging my mood from my work. I love it when I post a depressing or confused image and I get that PM or e-mail asking "whats up". It is a great test as to whether my images contain a little bit of me.
    Well, cool!

That fear is always there and I think mastering it is essential if we want to develop our photography beyond artisan aethetics.
    Good thought. I've been thinking about that artist that you sent me a link to.... eventually, you'll probably get an email back about it. He's plugged in to something raw and I feel it but, I don't think that I want to plug into it, myself. I can choose what I fill myself up with and I believe that there can be raw in joyful and simple things, too, but, I'm afraid, it often gets labeled as insipid and I'm wondering how it can stand out from the 'artisan aesthetics'. Remember "the offering". Someone was disappointed that it seemed too 'kitsch' compared to you normal work () and didn't have that edge. I think it was strong. It's made me think. In other words, I think that 'sophistication' can look so 'wise' but, I don't know - genuine simplicity - another nature shot - there's something powerfully rebuilding in that.

I'm just thinking and splaying my thoughts out and, at the moment, could care less if they're coherent. I'll just trust you to let me 'spit them out'.

Real Name
    Myra

Love them. Don't know why. But...when I see these, because I respect you as a photographer, it's like you're giving me permission to try some wildly different things. Coming into this in the past few years, I've read the comments about photoshopping etc... and was confused as to...everything having to do with tweaking, retouching, creating...I've tried my hand at a few "fidderent" things, but discarded them as being not something that I'm supposed to be doing. Sounds wierd and repressed, doesn't it? Anyway, just like when I allowed the snakeman to put the boa constrictor around my neck and lost all fear of snakes, I've looked at these pieces by someone whose work I admire and there goes all the false, preconceived notions. It's all good.

Katy is tired, so she has an excuse to just "spit them out". I think I've just been lost in the land of conservatism and doubt. Just wanted to let you, and others who have put their work out there for the rest of us to ponder, that you have quite an influence. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Love them. Don't know why. But...when I see these, because I respect you as a photographer, it's like you're giving me permission to try some wildly different things. Coming into this in the past few years, I've read the comments about photoshopping etc... and was confused as to...everything having to do with tweaking, retouching, creating...I've tried my hand at a few "fidderent" things, but discarded them as being not something that I'm supposed to be doing. Sounds wierd and repressed, doesn't it? Anyway, just like when I allowed the snakeman to put the boa constrictor around my neck and lost all fear of snakes, I've looked at these pieces by someone whose work I admire and there goes all the false, preconceived notions. It's all good.

Katy is tired, so she has an excuse to just "spit them out". I think I've just been lost in the land of conservatism and doubt. Just wanted to let you, and others who have put their work out there for the rest of us to ponder, that you have quite an influence. Thanks!
    I love hearing your thoughts, Myra, and it's so good to have you around!

Oops, though! Just to be clear...it's my own thoughts that I'm spluttering and spitting out - not Steve's images, which I really like!

Real Name
    Debbie

WOW, these are beautiful. Can't image how they are done.

Deb

Real Name
    Myra

<LOL> Yes, I should have made that more clear. There are several photographers on this site who just have "it" and I truly admire the work/art that they produce. I catch myself thinking, "Oh!" , "I've never looked at ... like that before" and lots of "How interestings" amd "Hmmms..."

Steve, do you create your own textures or acquire them from sources? I've just taken another good look at your images. In the two above, I really like what appears to be the radomness of the layering and that by changing/adding only a few elements have created such divergent images. And I think, "How interesting..."

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Love and Vanity
    Now, we had our monthly wine club evening tonight (from whitch i yam chust in, hic), so probably shouldn't even be attempting to make constructive comment. - By the way it was an evening of Spanish wine - marvellous.

Anyway, the word that came into my head upon seeing the above, was - haunting. A magical, ethereal quality that speaks, to me, of a young person trying to make sense of the world.

A glorious thing to just look at and explore. Really look - there is so much to see.

Real Name
    Myra

That clinches it. I'm going to start drinking. Donald, that's a much better commentary than I could muster sober

Well, I dunno. To me all images are emotionally &, possibly, spiritually based. One can make & should make an intellectual analysis, but I can't see how this would move me, the Me that makes photos. Yes, one should gauge whether all the elements harmonise, whether they are balanced etc, but still, does this make sense? Nevertheless I need a successful image to be more than 'Oh that's nice', or 'I like that'.

Having blahed on about emotions, I find the 'Vanity' pic to be, yes, satisfying. Would she be trying to make sense of the world, or would the world be appreciating her youth, freshness & vitality as expressed in the colours, shapes & vibrancy? Or all of the above?

Should we have a 'Philosophy of Photography' section? Just kidding.

Cheers
    Nihia

I've been thinking about that artist that you sent me a link to.... eventually, you'll probably get an email back about it. He's plugged in to something raw and I feel it but, I don't think that I want to plug into it, myself. I can choose what I fill myself up with and I believe that there can be raw in joyful and simple things, too, but, I'm afraid, it often gets labeled as insipid and I'm wondering how it can stand out from the 'artisan aesthetics'. Remember "the offering". Someone was disappointed that it seemed too 'kitsch' compared to you normal work () and didn't have that edge. I think it was strong. It's made me think. In other words, I think that 'sophistication' can look so 'wise' but, I don't know - genuine simplicity - another nature shot - there's something powerfully rebuilding in that.
    The Captain's work is not easily digestible but I am a glutton for that kind of fringe imagery. I would not expect the vast majority of people to make any connection with his world. But I would expect them to perceive some emotion that gives a slight thrill of the unknown. 'The Offering' was kitsch and that should not be assumed as a derogatory term. Kitsch can be profound...alas 'The Offering' was far from profound but I liked it myself so it did not matter. The fact that you and others liked it also is a bonus but it is was an exercise in safe aestheticism. It could have been edgy if the offerer were dressed in pony girl attire...but would it have had a different meaning? This brings me to you point (or dilema). The things you wish to portray may not be edgy and indeed they may be pretty or conventional but it does not mean they cannot have a profound message. Your preferred subjects can also have a raw passion - the trick is to stand naked (not in a literal sense) but in a way that allows you to interpret your subjects at basic instinctual level. You are right about apparent sophistication looking wise. I prefer to see it as cleverness without intellect and one of the struggles I have had over the last few weeks is trying eradicate cleverness for its own sake. The problem I have with nature shots is that it always seems to me that we are reproducing existing works of art. You can photograph Gaudier-Brzeska's Maternit well or you can photograph it very poorly but it is still Gaudier's Maternit. The trick is to represent nature as a human perception rather than a faithful capture. This is very difficult but studying impressionist painters is not a bad start.

Thank you Myra. I understand exactly what you are saying. I have felt exactly the same way about photography. I think photography is an art medium that has the most preconceptions and as a result we form a cordon of unwritten rules around our creativity. What I have found however is that the vast majority of people are surprisingly open to the manipulation of photographic images. The term 'photoshopped' has entered our vocabulary as meaning something dishonest and pehaps fraudulant. This assumes of course that we are manipulating something that was 'true' or 'pure' in the first instance. To be honest i do not believe I am anywhere near to shaking off conventualisms. I still have inhibitions about what is or is not photography. It is frustrating and difficult to shake of but I have hope when you say that you feel as if you have permission to go for it. It is a massive compliment to me and I thank you for that.
    WOW, these are beautiful. Can't image how they are done.
    Thank you Debbie. It is amazing simple in terms of technique...knowing when to stop however...welll that I need to master.

Steve, do you create your own textures or acquire them from sources? I've just taken another good look at your images. In the two above, I really like what appears to be the radomness of the layering and that by changing/adding only a few elements have created such divergent images. And I think, "How interesting..."
    Myra, I use my own images and textures and I do strive to get the base images technically right as my photographic ability allows. The randomness is actually the most challenging part because it is so easy to end up with a dogs dinner. The image is also in my head (or at last the outline is) so it is a challenge to translate that by manipulating photographic layers. You are correct that the manipulations are very simple. I find this the best way to control what I lay down. It is very similar to laying down oils with a pallete knife (in principle). I need to get way better at it

Anyway, the word that came into my head upon seeing the above, was - haunting. A magical, ethereal quality that speaks, to me, of a young person trying to make sense of the world.

A glorious thing to just look at and explore. Really look - there is so much to see.
    Thanks Donald....Spanish wine has that effect

Well, I dunno. To me all images are emotionally &, possibly, spiritually based. One can make & should make an intellectual analysis, but I can't see how this would move me, the Me that makes photos. Yes, one should gauge whether all the elements harmonise, whether they are balanced etc, but still, does this make sense? Nevertheless I need a successful image to be more than 'Oh that's nice', or 'I like that'.
    I think generally a successful image is perceived as one that gets the 'thats nice' or 'I like that' Breaking out of that is the hard bit but I have seen a couple of photographers lately who could be termed sucessful and avoid the Flickr stock appreciation My own view is that a sucessful image is one that attracts controversy and/or intellectual discussion - regardless of its technical merits

Should we have a 'Philosophy of Photography' section?
    God forbid

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve,

The personal trouble I have with images like these are that I have to disassemble them down to their component picture parts and work out what was done to each of them to get them to appear as presented, all in my head

However, if it were 'paintbrush' art, I could just accept it and interpret it as I wish.

I know its me that is the problem

Saint Marie De Kent, New Brunswick, Canada
    Real Name
    Chris Martin

They are really cool images! Reminds me of something I seen at a Pink Floyd concert........I think i saw at a Pink Floyd concert .....could have been a YES concert.....ahhhhh wasted youth.....but i do like your images....