Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Processing 7D video files

I'm from Seattle and I go to school in Utah
    Real Name
    Justin

Processing 7D video files

I don't know if this is the right place in the forum or even the right forum to post this question, but I'm gonna do it anyways because you all are generally very good at responding to my photography questions. I'm hoping the inner cinematographer inside all of you can help.

I was wondering how any of you edit video from your Canon 7D (or any DSLR for that matter). What's your workflow? What software do you use? Can you recommend any free general-purpose video-editing software (in either Windows 7 or Ubuntu. I've got both)?

From what I've seen, Windows Movie Maker is a joke and only good for adding music to slideshows. I've also got Cinelerra for Linux, which looks solid but I'd really like something for Windows.

I know that editing 1080p and 720p video with any of a multitude of framerates and file formats is a tall order for free software, but if any exists, I'd like to use it. I want to make short films and have the ability to overlay text/graphics on the video. Also potentially color correction and effects/filters.

If this is not the right place for this question, please direct me to a better place. Thanks

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Processing 7D video files

Justin

I'm afraid this is way out of my depth. But there must be folks on here who can provide opinions. Hopefully they pick up on this.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Like Donald, way beyond me, but the question is 'well asked' if you know what I mean, so it should illicit helpful responses in due course.

Also, I would say it is in the right forum.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here is a list of free video editing programs
    http://www.desktop-video-guide.com/t...re-review.html
    Personally, I use Sony Vegas 9 Platinum (Version 11 is out now). It cost less than $ 100.00.