Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Early Start in the Morning

Real Name
    John

Early Start in the Morning

The thought behind this Macro image relates to the little rituals we all follow. Any comments etc., welcome.
    A manual lens on a digital camera
    Canon 550D M42 Adaptor Kenlock 11mm extension Tube Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8
    Early Start in the Morning
    Manual Function - Shutter Speed 1/5 - Apperture Value Not Recorded - ISO 200 - Focal Length 50mm
    Last edited by Light Hearted; 23rd August 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Early Start in the Morning

Good idea, John.

One thought is that there is quite a high percenage of the the total image area gone completely to black or has very little detail left in it, and this tends to dominate. I think it maybe needed a more exposure. And that would have meant arranging the objects so that there wasn't such a prominent strip of white in the foreground, as it would then blow out.

Real Name
    John

Donald - Thank you for the warm welcome on the introduction page. I'm starting to feel more comfortable.
    Yes - I''ve looked at the full file. You are spot on. I took a similar picture when I first started. The composition and definition is superior. Stiching on the leather etc. I didnt use that one because it has the title across the bottom and I cant get rid of it. I seem to have lost some files although I do have a back-up disc. I think it highlights that I've lost my way a little. Some things I do I feel are better than earlier. Others are worse. Its not good to go backwards. I think I need to concentrate on particular issues which have been identified. This forum will help me to improve. If I talk to members of my family about photography and cameras their eyes gloss over and the room empties. Perhaps I should join a photography club. I'm afraid I'm not a good joiner. It is good to have contact with people from whom one can learn. I've been on Flickr for a while. I dont think people always say what needs to be said when your learning. I find the comments here considered and most helpful Appreciated.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Light Hearted View Post
    Donald - Thank you for the warm welcome on the introduction page. I'm starting to feel more comfortable.
    Yes - I''ve looked at the full file. You are spot on. I took a similar picture when I first started. The composition and definition is superior. Stiching on the leather etc. I didnt use that one because it has the title across the bottom and I cant get rid of it. I seem to have lost some files although I do have a back-up disc. I think it highlights that I've lost my way a little. Some things I do I feel are better than earlier. Others are worse. Its not good to go backwards. I think I need to concentrate on particular issues which have been identified. This forum will help me to improve. If I talk to members of my family about photography and cameras their eyes gloss over and the room empties. Perhaps I should join a photography club. I'm afraid I'm not a good joiner. I find the comments most helpful Appreciated.
    John

I'm not a 'club' type person either.

And please don't get concerned about the feeling of going backwards at times. That is very much part of the learning process.

I think you are right when you imply that we can get totally wrapped up in 'everything' that's not going right. It's perfectly understandable, because we want to get it right. But maybe going backwards with some things is necessary in order to, then, step further forward.

So, if you're concentrating on one aspect; e.g. composition, then you may go backwards in terms of learning about exposure, because you're not concentrating on that. But that's fine. Once the basics about composition are cemented into the brain, you can get on to concentrating on exposure. And difficult thought it can be to discipline yourself. That is, in my view, the way to tackle it.
    Last edited by Donald; 23rd August 2011 at 05:48 PM.