Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Women's Lacrosse at its best

Real Name
    Joanne Van Praag

Women's Lacrosse at its best

Just back from the U19 Women's World Lacrosse Championships where my 16 yr old Daughter played for Wales and increased their world rankings by 3 to be 5th best in the world (best improvement at the championships - England dropped 1 place) to be second in goal scoring to USA Gold Medal winners (my daughter approached by 3 USA Universities for scholorship). Please find some initial photos of gold medal match between USA and Australia where I was asked by USA to take photos for them....OMG.. Had a fantastic time....Professional photographers were really friendly and helpful and made lots of contacts....just a Mum taking photos....have got about 3000 photos to sort and process......will bore you rigid over the next few weeks as I select my best for your contsructive criticism....great to be home

Last edited by Dave Humphries; 21st August 2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: added numbering

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Women's Lacrosse at its best

Hi Joanne,

Congrats on the appointment

A good series, there are a few things that could be done to certain images, but given the volume, you're not going to be able to lavish the same amount of time per image as you might normally I fear.

You'll probably need to be guided more by content and grade them accordingly, then filter for the highest star ratings and just work on those.

I would imagine time is not on your side, if you take too long, the team may have images from a more recent match and these will have lost they're immediacy.

But what would I know, I'm no pro - we do have some sports pros here though, so hopefully they might join the discussion.

Good work,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Lots of good action stuff there, Joanne

Real Name
    John

You should number or sequence these images as photo 5, 6, and 7 stand out as perfect sport images, the others are just as inspiring.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    You should number or sequence these images as photo 5, 6, and 7 stand out as perfect sport images, the others are just as inspiring.
    Done (all part of the service )

Having done that, I now notice #6 looks like it missed a bit of cropping (or cloning in of adjacent detail) on the left and bottom edges (red background showing)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Was rushing out earlier, so only got a one line reply in.

#2 and #6 feel just a little under-exposed. But that's just passing a quick comment on the way to saying that I think you've captured the essence of the sport very well. Lacrosse bears similarities tot eh stick sport that I played and was involved in administering for many years (details about here). Both are fast, physical, quite aggressive sports.

And you've got that, particularly, for example in #3 and #d, which is a pefect illustration of the confrontation and competitiveness.

I like how you've mixed that up with images that show the individual skills and athleticism, as in #7.

And what's SO good, is that you've got people and sticks inside the frame - you don't have feet or arms, or heads of sticks disappearing out of the edges of frames. And, when it's needed, you've got the ball in the picture - which a pro sports photogrpaher once told me is the essential ingredient; i.e. knowing when a ball-sports image needs the ball in it ... and making sure it's there.

Keep 'em coming.