Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: VR does not appear on in Meta DATA when using any of my AF VR lenses and D300

Real Name
    Bernard Kravitz

VR does not appear on in Meta DATA when using any of my AF VR lenses and D300

I recently checked the meta data files and noticed that at no time was the VR ON. Yet when i checked the lens it was. This has occured with both my Nikon AF VR 18mm-200 and my AF VR 80-400

What should I do. All are new.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: VR does not appear on in Meta DATA when using any of my AF VR lenses and D300

Is the VR actually working? (ie is it a "No VR problem", or just a "Metadata problem"?)

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: VR does not appear on in Meta DATA when using any of my AF VR lenses and D300

Hi there,

Could you do me a favour and put your first name into the Real Name section when you edit your profile?
    We prefer the personal touch here at CiC of addressing by name, not handle/username - thanks.

Where are you seeing this metadata exactly?
    ViewNX or somewhere else?

I agree with Colin's question too, if using a focal length of 200mm and beyond (hand held obviously), as soon as I half depress the shutter button, I hear the VR start up and see the viewfinder image become far more stable - as long as that is happening, I wouldn't worry so much.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...

Real Name
    Robin

What are you viewing the EXIF with? Nikon NX2 shows all the data including whether the VR is on or off:

VR does not appear on in Meta DATA when using any of my AF VR lenses and D300

Click on the image and you'll see it in the left hand panel.

Real Name
    Bernard Kravitz

Hi all
    Thanks for the rapid reply. I did update my profile as requested.
    I am using Capture NX2 version 2.27 and also Photoshop CS5. The metadata file states that VR = off
    I will try the exercise you recommended and get back to you this week.
    Thanks so much. Im a newbie . Thanks for your patients
    B

Real Name
    Bernard Kravitz

update
    I just took a few more quick shots and i noticed that on some the meta file said VR=on and other it said VR=off. So the million dollar questions ... does it only say on when activated?

Real Name

Hi Bernard, (thanks)

I looked at a few of my pictures in ViewNX2 and I now see the metadata tag you mean.

I can confirm that for my both 70-300mm and 18-200mm lenses, it does say "ON". I rarely turn VR off as I hardly ever use my tripod so looking for an "OFF" would be the proverbial 'needle in a haystack' task

If I put the (non-VR equipped) 50/1.4 on camera (D5000), it is just blank.

As you intend to, we need to know if VR is working at all, or just saying (in the metadata) it is not working.

Which position do you have the other switch (the Normal / Active one) in?
    I run in Normal usually, only using Active when in a vehicle.

I did check some shots from a helicopter recently, where, half way through the flight I remembered to switch to Active mode , but shots both before and after switching still show VR as "ON".

Hope we get a good result for you on this,

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by bakravitzD300 View Post
    update
    I just took a few more quick shots and i noticed that on some the meta file said VR=on and other it said VR=off. So the million dollar questions ... does it only say on when activated?
    The ones where it says OFF; are they either;
    a) quick snaps (instant full press of shutter button), perhaps grabbed before the VR had a chance to get stabilised, or
    b) taken after the shutter button was held half depressed for a while?

If b), I think there is a VR 'stay alive' time setting somewhere in the menus you may want to extend

Also, you can see, hear and feel VR start and stop (if you know what to look/listen for of course)

Update, I can't find the setting, but then realised I had a non-VR lens on (doh)
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 21st August 2011 at 02:05 PM.

Real Name
    Bernard Kravitz

I searched for a function that would control how long the VR stayed active but could not find it.

So my question is this... when the VR is active it will display VR=On in the metadata and when it is not active it will display VR=Off?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Bernard, (thanks)

I looked at a few of my pictures in ViewNX2 and I now see the metadata tag you mean.

I can confirm that for my both 70-300mm and 18-200mm lenses, it does say "ON". I rarely turn VR off as I hardly ever use my tripod so looking for an "OFF" would be the proverbial 'needle in a haystack' task

If I put the (non-VR equipped) 50/1.4 on camera (D5000), it is just blank.

As you intend to, we need to know if VR is working at all, or just saying (in the metadata) it is not working.

Which position do you have the other switch (the Normal / Active one) in?
    I run in Normal usually, only using Active when in a vehicle.

I did check some shots from a helicopter recently, where, half way through the flight I remembered to switch to Active mode , but shots both before and after switching still show VR as "ON".

Hope we get a good result for you on this,

Real Name

I searched for a function that would control how long the VR stayed active but could not find it.
    No, neither could I, perhaps I was mistaken

So my question is this... when the VR is active it will display VR=On in the metadata and when it is not active it will display VR=Off?
    I would imagine that will be a Yes.
    I can only suggest you try testing again and keep a note of when you think it should be ON and whether you can hear or feel it on.
    And look for any other correlations between say focal length, or focus distance, with when it says OFF.

I assume you are shooting handheld and not tripod mounted for these tests?

Is it possible the lens switch is dodgy, if you switch it off and on again, does the shot EXIF data agree?

Real Name
    Pierre

Dear Bernard,

On my D7000 I can check it easily (besides the ticks you hear when VR is on, as Dave and/or Donald already mentioned).

When viewing the picture you can see the meta-file by clicking on the arrow UP (or down in de reserve direction). With my GPS on I see in the sixth screen (without GPS probably the fifth) which lens I am using and if there is VR on the lens and it will say if is on or off.

So by taking two pictures, one with VR on and one with VR off will bring the solution or it is or isn't registered.

Hope this helps.

btw. When it is turned off it will show off, when it is turned on (active or normal, which isn't specified in your meta-file) it will show on. No VR on the lens leaves it blanc (don't know what the camera reports in that case, if necessary I will mount a non-VR lens if you want to know that).

Regards, Pierre

Real Name
    Bernard Kravitz

Hi All
    Thanks so much for all of your help and support. I have been in contact with NIKON USA regarding my problems. They had me take 16 pictures using a variety of settings and noting the METADATA displayed on the camera. It was slow uploading 16 RAW images and had to do it in four separate units. Below is the settings and data that I received.

The besides noting that the only time the VR=ON was when the flash was on (regardless of whether it was the onboard flash or the SB900). The other thing i noticed was that I had the auto focus sent at S yet the camera displayed manual.

First using only the onboard D300 Flash I took the following pictures
    Note at all times focus setting was S yet metadata shows M for some images

VR = OFF FLASH = OFF VR= ACTIVE IMAGE # =8910 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = OFF
    VR = OFF FLASH = ON VR= ACTIVE IMAGE # =8911 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = ON
    VR = ON FLASH = OFF VR= ACTIVE IMAGE # =8912 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = OFF
    VR = ON FLASH = ON VR= ACTIVE IMAGE # =8913 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = ON
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VR = OFF FLASH = OFF VR= NORMAL IMAGE # =8914 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = OFF
    VR = OFF FLASH = ON VR= NORMAL IMAGE # =8915 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = ON
    VR = ON FLASH = OFF VR= NORMAL IMAGE # =8916 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = OFF
    VR = ON FLASH = ON VR= NORMAL IMAGE # =8917 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = ON

Second using the SB900 Flash I took the following pictures
    Note at all times focus setting was S yet metadata shows M for some images

VR = OFF SB900 FLASH = OFF VR= ACTIVE IMAGE # =8918 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = OFF
    VR = OFF SB900 FLASH = ON VR= ACTIVE IMAGE # = 8919 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = ON
    VR = ON SB900 FLASH = OFF VR= ACTIVE IMAGE # =8920 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = OFF
    VR = ON SB900 FLASH = ON VR= ACTIVE IMAGE # =8921 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = ON
    VR = OFF SB900 FLASH = OFF VR= NORMAL IMAGE # =8922 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = OFF
    VR = OFF SB900 FLASH = ON VR= NORMAL IMAGE # = 8923 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = ON
    VR = ON SB900 FLASH = OFF VR= NORMAL IMAGE # =8924 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = OFF
    VR = ON SB900 FLASH = ON VR= NORMAL IMAGE # =8925 METADATA DISPLAYS VR = ON

Real Name

That's odd isn't it, moreso than I was expecting!

Sounds like Nikon USA had an idea what the problem is, doesn't it?

Looks like there's a software equivalent of 'crossed wires', I wonder if they'll suggest a firmware upgrade of camera or lens(es).

Hope you get it sorted,

Real Name
    Bernard Kravitz

Im hoping to hear from NIKON USA today. I may just consider the D700.

Real Name
    Bernard Kravitz

Problem Fixed.

It seems that when the firmware was upgraded to 1.10 only the B version B1.10 was loaded into the camera. The A firmware was still A1.03 once I donwloaded and installed A1.10 and the B1.10 all systems were fixed.

Nikon was going to have me send my camera and lenses to them for evaluation. I contacted nikon with the solution. Since I stumped the tech support the sent me a nice note. I would have loved a nikon certificate. or even better a D700

B

Real Name
    Bernard Kravitz

Problem Fixed.

It seems that when the firmware was upgraded to 1.10 only the B version B1.10 was loaded into the camera. The A firmware was still A1.03 once I donwloaded and installed A1.10 and the B1.10 all systems were fixed.

Nikon was going to have me send my camera and lenses to them for evaluation. I contacted nikon with the solution. Since I stumped the tech support the sent me a nice note. I would have loved a nikon certificate. or even better a D700

Real Name

Problem Fixed.

Great news - and thanks for letting us know.

Happy shooting (and do show us the results)

Sounds like the processing equivalent of the old corporate saying "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing"

Cheers,