Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Doh!!!

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Doh!!!

My wife volunteered me to take pictures at her high school reunion, in order to save money.
    A group shot is part of the task. I've never taken a group shot before.
    As part of the prep, I ordered a Manfrotto flash bracket, only to to discover that the flash shoe is an accessory.
    This does not bode well...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Doh!!!

Hi George,

What camera / lens / lighting / light-modifiers do you have available? How many people in the group? What kind of location will it be shot in? Do you have a tripod?

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Colin,

I have a d90 with a Nikkor 50mm f1.8, an 18-105mm Nikkor, and a Sigma 70-300mm.
    My only lighting is an ancient Vivitar 283.
    I have a tripod.
    As of now, the venue is an outside picnic location during the afternoon hours.
    I'm guessing I should use the 50mm, as the 18-105 is the kit lens and the 70-300 is a Sigma.

Real Name
    Bill S

George,

If you're using a sync cord, it will have the flash shoe - usually with a spot to screw into - does the flash bracket have a screw?

- Bill

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Bill, this flash was given to me as a gift sometime in the early 80's. There's no screw hole in the flash unit's shoe, just the contact for the hot shoe.
    I still have some time, so I'll order the proper adapter. It just seemed a little silly to sell an off-camera flash bracket that doesn't come with a flash shoe.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Just a word of caution - many old flashes used a VERY high sync voltage -- not sure what the limits are on your camera, but if you haven't used it with the camera before, then it would pay to research the sync voltages before doing so.

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Just a word of caution - many old flashes used a VERY high sync voltage -- not sure what the limits are on your camera, but if you haven't used it with the camera before, then it would pay to research the sync voltages before doing so.
    Did not realize that this could be an issue. I've used this flash on both my Olympus E-510 and the D90 with no problems, though the usage has been very occasional.
    I am considering the SB700 as a replacement.
    Many thanks for your responses, Colin, and to Bill, as well.