Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Anyone for croquet ?

Real Name
    Mike

Anyone for croquet ?

I always think of 'Alice in Wonderland' (or is it 'Through the Looking Glass' ?) whenever I see flamingos. Its something that's stuck with me since I was a small child.

This is the first one that I've seen in real life and its changed my childhood perception of them being croquet mallets, they really are delicate and beautiful birds.

Anyone for croquet ?

Anyone for croquet ?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Anyone for croquet ?

Mike

Overall, I think the lighting on the bird in the second shot is better than in the first. But I think the first is a better image in terms of the angle of the shot. And, in the first, you've got more of the reflection of the bird on the water, which is wonderful.

I wonder what giving the body of the bird, in the first picture, just a very light tickle with a dodging tool to lighten it up, would do to the image?

Hi Mike

Beautiful colours. I loved the textures: feathers, water. Do these birds keep their eyes closed or was it a reaction to the camera or the photographer? It's a pity not having an open eye. I think I would have avoided having both shots with the bird in the middle of pic, but would have tried to have it to one side. Was this taken in a zoo? It's just that there is a fairly large area of ?abrasion on the bird's skin (or is it the feathers?). Perhaps something more of the environment would be appealing?

Cheers
    Nihia

Real Name
    Mike

Thank you Donald for the comments.
    I prefer the first shot too, but it was a bit of a hit or miss situation with my little grandson tugging on my coat whilst I was trying to keep the camera still.

"I wonder what giving the body of the bird, in the first picture, just a very light tickle with a dodging tool to lighten it up, would do to the image?"

You're right, I think lightening the body of the bird a touch would improve it. Can I do that in Lightroom 3, which I've recently installed, or do I need PS (which I haven't got) ?

Real Name
    Keith

Lovely shots of lovely birds Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Pandrion View Post
    This is the first one that I've seen in real life and its changed my childhood perception of them being croquet mallets, they really are delicate and beautiful birds.
    Hmm, I'm not quite sure how you would hold one Just a bit of fun, hope you don't mind!

Anyone for croquet ?

Real Name
    Mike

Hi Nihia,

Thank you for your comments.

I take your point about centralising the image, I'll play around with the cropping and see what comes out.
    What looks like abrasions on the lower part of the bird's body are in fact reflections from the water. The two pictures were taken about ten seconds apart and if you look closely you'll see the those 'abrasion' marks are completely different in the two shots.
    The flamingo's eye is open, you can see it clearer in this close-up. Its just that the iris is very tiny.

Anyone for croquet ?

No, its not a zoo, more a small wildlife park, but a very pretty little place.

Appreciate your in-put, many thanks,

Mike

Real Name
    Mike

Great stuff Keith.
    How English that shot is, makes me all nostalgic, haven't been back for many years.

Real Name
    Mike

Heading for the pool

Should have put this one in first to keep them in a natural sequence.

Anyone for croquet ?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Pandrion View Post
    You're right, I think lightening the body of the bird a touch would improve it. Can I do that in Lightroom 3, which I've recently installed, or do I need PS (which I haven't got) ?
    My apologies, Mike. I missed your question.

I'm afraid I don't know how you would do this in Lightroom. I use the GIMP. But I have no doubt that it can be done. What we need is a Lightroom user to come in and tell us how.

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks anyway Donald. Since I read your reply I downloaded Gimp, and it looks a fearsome lot to learn ! But I shall make a start next week.

In the meanwhile, if any Lightroom 3 users who might read this can throw some 'light' on achieving the effect Donald talked about, like using a dodging tool, I'd be grateful.