Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tall Ship Phoenix

Real Name
    John Wright

Tall Ship Phoenix

On the 26-28th. we have a Tall Ships Festival here in Gloucester. We're inland so the ships come to the docks in the city having come from the sea into the river Severn (west side of the UK )and then into the Sharpness Canal. This is the first arrival-named Phoenix, built in 1929 in Frederikshavn,Denmark as an Evangelical Mission Schooner and after 20 years became a cargo carrier.

Any CC welcome as I have another 4 ships to photograph. I will drive to the canal entrance and photograph them as they enter the canal,then I can drive to a couple of the bridges on the route to the city- 16miles,the speed limit is 6 miles an hour but most stick to 4 or 5 mph.The bridge master reckoned this one was doing 7 mph. so I have time to get ahead and driveto the next vantage location..You'd think at 6/7 mph. you'd have time to recompose but it's surprising how fast that is. I used the 100-400 and the 24-105 on separate tripods. After the first shots I quickly realised I needed a grad filter-the sky was cloudy but still gave off a lot of brightness-more than I thought.

After the ship went through one of the road bridges I caught the canoeist going under it after it had opened to traffic. 'Mind your head' Lol Just a fun photo.taken at a seconds notice.

I'd really like to photograph these ships under sail - a bit of googling required now.

Tall Ship Phoenix

Tall Ship Phoenix

I thought about cloning out that green barge..
    Tall Ship Phoenix

Tall Ship Phoenix

Mind your head lol.
    Tall Ship Phoenix
    Last edited by JohnC; 17th August 2011 at 11:35 AM.

Real Name
    David Duffy

Re: Tall Ship Phoenix

Great opportunity John, I envy you - I love these old ships. I like the third one most, maybe its the masts and rigging looking romantic against the sky. I like the composition too, the path on the left gives a spacious feel. I agree about the green barge - why not try just desaturating/burning the green so its similar to the hedge, see if that works before cloning? As you say, when the sails are out too it'll be a splendid sight....

Real Name
    John Wright

Resized the main one-

Tall Ship Phoenix

Real Name
    John Wright

Thanks Davidd..I hadn't thought of de-saturating that barge- good idea.I'll do that. I posted the first 3 at too small a size.Ugh.

Real Name
    John Wright

I tried that using Viveza but before it did the job it went to purple. I need to read up on that.I have CS2 but use LR3 most of the time.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

John

Lovely stuff.

I think #2 and #3 are the strongest images compositionally. And, if pushed, would have to say #2 was my favourite. Be nice to see it larger as well.

I think the exposure on it is very, very good (the sky is good as well). And the angle at which you shot it means that the tree line gives a very strong guide through the image from front to back. And the relative position of two such wonderful vessels, just tops it all off. A really nice one.

And as for the last one - I can't believe there's never been a rower who's forgotten to turn round and check where he/she was.

Real Name
    David Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    I tried that using Viveza but before it did the job it went to purple. I need to read up on that.I have CS2 but use LR3 most of the time.
    I agree with Donald about the composition etc - also you must have been kneeling to take pic 3? The low viewpoint brings out the height of the masts. Clouds help too, add to the atmosphere. The green barge in 3 isn't a massive problem but its an unpleasantly distracting shade of green - in LR3 you'd target it with the adjustment brush and then reduce the saturation or exposure or both so it blended into the background better. I think cloning could be a little tricky, you'd have to merge the barge into the bank and the water without the changes being noticeable. Could be done but would need patience! Worth the effort of making these little tweaks though John, look forward to seeing more....

David

Real Name
    John Wright

Thanks both. Yes, for photo 3 I had the tripod down to 18 inches - I'm a fan of low level shots.

David.I started to clone but quickly realised it was a non-starter.I'll try the adjustment brush.

Looking carefully again at number 2 I don't think it's very sharp, neither is number 1. I've just checked the exif data..not good. Number 1 1/80 sec. ISO 100....no. 2 .f 18 1/60 sec. ISO 100.. and I know why. As I set up the camera/tripod a man came chatting to me then he suddenly said, 'don't miss it' I rushed and didn't check the settings properly as I had to keep re-framing it-as I mentioned 6/7 mph. is quite fast within a frame. I've been caught out before, talking to someone. Never mind, that's the last time that happens though. I'll get 3 more shots at this,4 if it doesn't rain on Sunday but I think it will.

This one is better.. f13 1/800 sec. ISO 200 .I could have dropped the ISO to 100 and got 1/640 or 1/500-still plenty but you do have to think fast on your feet. I also had two cameras to re-frame.

Tall Ship Phoenix

Antique Grayscale (LR3)
    Tall Ship Phoenix

Sepia
    Tall Ship Phoenix

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Looking carefully again at number 2 I don't think it's very sharp,...
    Maybe, but at the size you've posted it, it's impossible to assess.

But even if it's not, the strength of the composition is more than capable of carrying it ... in my opinion.

Real Name
    John Wright

Thanks Donald..not too bad then. I've just taken this last one and number 2 up in size and this one is sharper.

Here's numbers 1 & 2 at approx. the same size as this last set.Hope this works.
    Tall Ship Phoenix

Tall Ship Phoenix

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Tall Ship Phoenix
    That really, really appeals to me.

Real Name
    John Wright

Ok..great stuff. I'll stop beating myself up then...thanks .

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Looks like an interesting event John, have you been - into the centre I mean at the weekend?

Part of me fears that photo opps could be spoiled by the sheer halla baloo of the event (all those people) and the ships against the modern buildings (e.g. on their website look a little incongruous)

Can't help thinking you have the right idea getting them in advance, perhaps (admittedly) still in somewhat incongruous settings, but at least they are less 'busy'

Almost considering a trip up there, but my eldest daughter, who would love it, is busy that weekend moving house.

Cheers,

Real Name
    John Wright

Everybody and their auntie will be there, Dave.lol

I really want one of these ships coming under the wide bridge over the Severn just before it enters the Sharpness canal. This year they have pirates running around the Quay shopping complex 'surprising' people whatever they have in mind-that will be a first.. A photographers' nightmare but a challenge too. What I will do is to get down there at night when they should be lit up. On Friday 26th all the ships will have arrived in Monk Meadow Dock and they leave there at 1215 pm and travel the short distance to the main Gloucester docks. One of the ships is going to berth at Purton -about 5 miles from Gloucester and then run up there for the Friday so I'll get to Purton.That will make a nice photo out in the countryside.

Here's the schedule http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-...ng+Information

Real Name
    David Duffy

If you get the chance, John, it might be worth trying a couple of shots with a shallower depth of field, blurring some of the background especially if its busy as Dave says? The incongruity could be made a feature of, if you see what I mean - the stately dignity of the ship in a modern setting? I'd shoot those pirates too. With the lens I mean Loads of potential, wish I could be there!

Real Name
    John Wright

Taken that on board,David, no pun intended ..but it will have to wait until next year or when they leave and I haven't been able to ascertain that, someone I spoke to today had asked that question of a crew member and he didn't know either.I took some more today but the exposure meter on the 7D stuck at -2, it wouldn't shift- it's had problems so I've read-mine had to go back within 3 months as a chip did something and changing Av changed the Tv and vice versa and the ISO wouldn't change atall. In the Canon range there's nothing else- maybe I'll buy go backwards and buy the 40D- I had one and sold it .Ugh.

Real Name
    David Duffy

Oh what a shame John, I actually just logged in hoping to see some more of your ships! Are the shots you took unrecoverable? If they're in RAW and two stops under-exposed maybe you can still get them back in LR3?

Real Name
    John Wright

Now I feel bad,David lol. I've Just found a CF card so I'll see what's on it and as for the 'problems'..I do suffer Lol. Queen's song 'Don't Try So Hard' comes to mind.

Here's the lesson. Never let someone else handle your camera.I sorted it out this morning.I travelled from Sharpness 10 miles to Epney which is approx. 4 miles from the city docks. Whilst waiting for the ships to arrive the bridge operator asked if he could see some of the Sharpness photos so I handed him the camera and he dialled his way through them-he had large hands and he's obviously caught the exposure lock mechanism-I'd never had cause to use it so didn't think to check it at the time. I thought the other problem was in-camera too ,it wasn't. It was the 5D11 and I had it on the tripod low down and in portrait mode- the ships-not much distance between them-were travelling quite quickly towards me ,I had to continually adjust the focal length as the top of the masts were going out of the viewfinder,(it's like photographing the moon,it's surprising how fast it moves across the viewfinder) I didn't notice the exposure was at -2 not least because in portrait mode on a tripod I had to twist my neck round to see even the top of the camera window let alone the viewfinder LCD. I wanted the sharpest photo so cable release too - there are times when hand held is the better and the easiest option along with with a higher shutter speed.

There's one left to come but it's more a yacht than a Tall ship -I'll see if I can find out when they return to sea,that will be next Monday. ..your interest has motivated me to do that now and I'll try an f4-infact I have an f2.8 available (70-200) but wouldn't the dof be so shallow that only part of the ship would be in focus ? I'll give that a go instead of the 100-400.

I tried to clone out that harsh blue sail but the rigging goes with it - LR Brush didn't work either (reducing the saturation).

Here's the Irene ..in full sail Professional Photo. http://www.ireness.com/

Coming out of the River Severn into the Sharpness canal

Tall Ship Phoenix

Tall Ship Phoenix

Real Name
    David Duffy

I'll try an f4-infact I have an f2.8 available (70-200) but wouldn't the dof be so shallow that only part of the ship would be in focus ? I'll give that a go instead of the 100-400.

I tried to clone out that harsh blue sail but the rigging goes with it - LR Brush didn't work either (reducing the saturation).
    I don't need other people handling my camera to mess up the settings John - I've done it often enough myself, forgot to change the ISO after some indoor shots and clicked away at 2400 in the sunshine, left auto bracketing on etc etc - I bet most of us have, no? Re shallow dof, I was picturing say a head-on shot of the ship against a blurred background, or details of the ship, or a portrait of a crew member, just for variation - might not be your thing though. I'll have to dig out one or two of my own boat pics and post them, no tall ships yet though...

I promise you that LR3 can do the job and reduce saturation, I usually use CS5 for that out of habit but the adjustment brush is good too, just got to target the area you want and play with the sliders...

best wishes, David

Real Name
    John Wright

Just seen this reply,David, thanks. They go down the list so quickly and onto previous pages. That makes me feel better re. the camera . I've learnt to put all the settings back to 'normal' each time. I'll keep an eye out for your ships .