Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Black & White of a Newbie

Black & White of a Newbie

Starting to love the monochromatic life of Black & White...

An afternoon laze at the beachfront of Camiguin Island

Olango Island, Cebu
    Last edited by Prince Valdoe; 18th August 2011 at 05:33 AM.

"Trio Chat"

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Black & White of a Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valdoe View Post
    Starting to love the monochromatic life of Black & White...

And I'm very glad to hear that. It is great fun, isn't it?

That's a good composition. I like how you have used the branches of the tree to give you that frame that pushes our attention onto the water and the objects on and around it. Not so sure about that 'thing' that appears to be hanging from the tree. Might be worth thinking about cloning out something like that.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: "Trio Chat"

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valdoe View Post
    I think the biggest challenge with this one was the dynamic range of light. You have got the ground, the people and the buildings exposed well, but the sky is completely blown out. It is for this sort of situation that Graduated Neutral Density filters are required, or you shoot bracketed exposures and then blend them in post-processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    And I'm very glad to hear that. It is great fun, isn't it?

That's a good composition. I like how you have used the branches of the tree to give you that frame that pushes our attention onto the water and the objects on and around it. Not so sure about that 'thing' that appears to be hanging from the tree. Might be worth thinking about cloning out something like that.
    Thank you so much Donald for outlining the points for me to get rid that decorative ball hanging on the tree of the resort where i am billeted to.

Likewise, i appreciate for taking time in viewing my photos. I'm still amateur and do have a penchant for photography.

Daghang salamat Donald

Hi Prince, was this in Cebu? I wish I can go back there.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterlush View Post
    Hi Prince, was this in Cebu? I wish I can go back there.
    Hi there Jup!

the beachfront scene was taken in Camiguin Island while the 2nd one was the old City Hall of Davao City.

Try to come back to Cebu, one of Asia's Top Island Destinations! For sure you'll love the pristine waters of Bantayan, Mactan, Malapascua, Camotes and Badian as well.

Daghang salamat,

Prince Valdoe

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Welcome to CiC, Valdoe. You have a good understanding of composition. My extra suggestion to help your images would be not to position your main subject too close to the edge of the frame for balance. Second, try not to increase the contrast too much so the viewers can still see some details on both the bright and shadow areas. You're off to a very good start. Hope to see some more images from you in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Welcome to CiC, Valdoe. You have a good understanding of composition. My extra suggestion to help your images would be not to position your main subject too close to the edge of the frame for balance. Second, try not to increase the contrast too much so the viewers can still see some details on both the bright and shadow areas. You're off to a very good start. Hope to see some more images from you in the future.
    hi Jiro!

Thanks for the warmth in welcoming me to this forum. I am very happy to see photographers helping budding photo enthusiasts to excel more. Moreover, i appreciate much your pointers shared to me about subject composition, brightness and contrast as well I will surely post more. hehhehe... Thanks for droppin' by and spendin' your time.

- prince v.