Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

  1. #1
    Markvetnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    639
    Real Name
    Mark

    Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

    Blue Dawn - Red Dawn
    click for large view

    Blue Dawn - Red Dawn
    click for large view

  2. #2
    epmi314's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    471
    Real Name
    Scott Benz

    Re: Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

    Really good images both of them.

  3. #3
    dje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    4,183
    Real Name
    Dave Ellis

    Re: Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

    Lovely shots Mark, great composition, colour and exposure. I suspect you didn't need to do a lot of pp but whatever you did is spot on. They'd look great on a wall.

    The Lightbox display works well as the images just about fill the screen on my monitor. Any tricks with uploading to achieve this ?

    Cheers Dave

  4. #4
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

    Two absolutely stunning images, Mark. It is extremely unusual to get a red band of sky that far out on the horizon and it is as razor sharp as the foreground - superb capture.

  5. #5
    Markvetnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    639
    Real Name
    Mark

    Re: Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

    Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Lovely shots Mark, great composition, colour and exposure. I suspect you didn't need to do a lot of pp but whatever you did is spot on. They'd look great on a wall.

    The Lightbox display works well as the images just about fill the screen on my monitor. Any tricks with uploading to achieve this ?

    Cheers Dave
    Hi Dave

    I could pretend to be a real expert on how to post these, but I only just got it right for the first time this morning.

    here are the instructions I followed. You need to use an external hosting service like PBase or Flickr. I save my images as 1500 pixels on the horizontal at about 100ppi for web hosting. You can choose whichever size you want to link to on the Flickr site.

    How to "Direct link" images into your posts

    Upload the image to your image hosting site; e.g. PBase, Flickr, Photobucket, etc.
    Display the image at the size you want it to display here
    Now you need to find the direct link url for the image, but this varies form site to site:
    - with PBase: click "Edit Image" and copy the URL from the top right-hand area of the screen
    - with Flickr: Right-click on the image, choose Properties, highlight the address of the image and copy it to the clipboard (IExplorer) or right-click and select 'copy image location' (Firefox)
    Come back to your post here, and click the "Insert Image" button
    Paste* (Ctrl+V) the image address into the box that pops up and click OK
    (with PBase: you may need to change "medium.jpg" to "original.jpg")

    Should work a treat. Let me know when you get it so I can check your photos.

    Regards

    Mark

  6. #6
    Markvetnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    639
    Real Name
    Mark

    Re: Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Two absolutely stunning images, Mark. It is extremely unusual to get a red band of sky that far out on the horizon and it is as razor sharp as the foreground - superb capture.
    Thanks Frank. I got up at about 4am and trekked out to a very dark isolated beach only to find that the sun rose at 6.45am. I had plenty of time for a bit of solitude and I got to know a few hermit crabs really well too. I used a 3 stop reverse GND filter on the first image and a bit of fill flash on the second with a shutter speed of 1/2 sec if I remember correctly. The sunrise wasn't too spectacular I did get a few nice shots.

  7. #7
    dje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    4,183
    Real Name
    Dave Ellis

    Re: Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

    Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    I got up at about 4am and trekked out to a very dark isolated beach only to find that the sun rose at 6.45am
    So that's what I have to do to get some decent shots !

    Thanks for the upload info Mark. Looks like I'll have to join Flckr.

    Cheers Dave

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

    Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    I save my images as 1500 pixels on the horizontal at about 100ppi for web hosting.
    Hi Mark,

    Just a quick FYI ... the ppi is irrelivant unless you're physically printing them - you could save at 1 ppi or 10,000, and it wouldn't make any difference.

  9. #9
    Markvetnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    639
    Real Name
    Mark

    Re: Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Mark,

    Just a quick FYI ... the ppi is irrelivant unless you're physically printing them - you could save at 1 ppi or 10,000, and it wouldn't make any difference.
    That's the point (the printing) to me at least. I just don't like the idea of some bugger printing AO prints of my photos. Maybe that's just a bit self delusion .

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

    Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Looks like I'll have to join Flckr.
    Hi Dave,

    Other may shoot me down for saying this, but I found Flickr to be a nightmare - waaaaaaay too over-commercialised. I switched from them to Pbase (after about an hour!), for what it's worth.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

    Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    That's the point (the printing) to me at least. I just don't like the idea of some bugger printing AO prints of my photos. Maybe that's just a bit self delusion .
    Hi Mark,

    I hear what you say, but even then, the PPI you save it as doesn't have any bearing on the quality they're able to print - it's purely a function of the amount of information you give them, which is determined totally by the pixel dimensions.

    If you have 2 images - both 1500 pixels on the long side (assume 1000 on the short side) - one is 100 ppi and the other 10,000 I could print either of them (without resampling) at 1500 ppi (1 inch wide!) or 15 ppi (100 inches wide) or anything inbetween. What you're doing isn't "wrong" per se, it's just that the ppi is more of a quality check for a given print/display size than it is an absolute measurement. What I'm really saying (and taking a road trip to do it!) is "just look at the actual pixel dimensions when saving, and ignore ppi".

  12. #12
    Markvetnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    639
    Real Name
    Mark

    Re: Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Dave,

    Other may shoot me down for saying this, but I found Flickr to be a nightmare - waaaaaaay too over-commercialised. I switched from them to Pbase (after about an hour!), for what it's worth.
    In the beginning it was a total PITA for me too, but like everything once you get used to it, it's OK. I agree, it is a bit Facebooky.

  13. #13
    dje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    4,183
    Real Name
    Dave Ellis

    Re: Blue Dawn - Red Dawn

    Thanks for the info guys. I'll have a look at PBase as well. I'm not interested in Facebook so...

    Cheers Dave

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •