Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Which Image to Choose?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Which Image to Choose?

I have three images of the same subject but can't decide which one is best.

The first one has the largest image of the moon but no reflection in the water.
    Which Image to Choose?

The second one is a wider angle, has better color in the sky and has a reflection.
    Which Image to Choose?

The third one has both the reflection and some low haze hovering on the right side but the moon is less well defined.
    Which Image to Choose?

I would like to try experimenting in PS to bring out the best of one of these, but which one?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Which Image to Choose?

Frank I'd go for #2 with a small crop at the bottom and a bit more of a crop at the top. I think it has the best composition. I've been in this situation myself where I have taken two or three shots at different focal lengths and decided that the "closest" shot is not necessarily the best when you look at the overall effect.

Cheers Dave

Which Image to Choose?

Well the way I see them Frank, is;

Everything is just 'too close' with the first shot.

And too distant with the second. But you have plenty of cropping options here. Not too excessively though.

Somehow the balance doesn't seem correct with the third. But once again you have cropping alternatives.

I think I would have the moon a little less central. However, I suspect this will be a case of trying a few slight crops, or just hold a couple of pieces of paper against the screen until something looks correct.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Dave, thank you for the suggestion. I Like the sky in this one the best but it is hard to decide.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Geoff, I don't see a clear winner. There are things I like and dislike about each of them. It's a bit like the Home & Garden TV shows my wife watches - they show the buyer three houses and each of has benefits but also major drawbacks, but by the end of the show they always pick one.

I think I'll try something different. I've been trying to learn the various features of Photoshop. I think I'll stick my neck out and see if I can combine the best aspects of each photograph into a single image. It may be more frustration then it's worth but even if I fail, I'll have learned something.

Thanks for the feedback!