Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: All Saints Church, Marlow

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

All Saints Church, Marlow

This is an image I have been working on for some time and I have got to close to it to be really objective, so I would very much appreciate your comments. I have made a fairly major edit and wonder if you can spot it (if so I guess I have failed).

All Saints Church sits just below Marlow Bridge, a suspension road bridge that crosses the River Thames.

Aperture: f/10 Shutter Speed: 1/125 ISO: 100

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: All Saints Church, Marlow

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I have made a fairly major edit and wonder if you can spot it (if so I guess I have failed)
    Did you change the sky?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Chris

I hope you don't mind, but I felt my best way of describing my thought was to illustrate it.

I think this was a very 'graceful' image. It has a brightness and lightness that, helped by the subject matter, make it a very serene and peaceful image.

What I feel, however, is that it is a bit 'flat' - that it could 'pop' a bit more. So - Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE).

What I have done here (and remember I use the GIMP, not one of the Adobe family of products), is applied Wavelet Sharpening - Amount = 0.3; Radius = 1.80. Then I put on a black layer mask to hide that sharpening. Then, painted white back over the church only to reveal the impact of the LCE. So the LCE hasn't had any impact on any other part of the image.

Just one thought for you to consider.

Real Name
    Tommy

I have made a fairly major edit and wonder if you can spot it (if so I guess I have failed)
    I see what you've done now

I like Donald's edit... I think it has helped to bring the church out and as he said, made it 'pop'!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Ah hah.

No, didn't see that. That's a good bit of cloning work.

If you wanted to get hyper-critical, you could argue that the 'shoulder' coming down the right edge is a bit straight and not 'natural' enough. But, hey I never saw the edit it until Tommy gave us that link. And if I represent Mr Average, then no-one else is going to see it.

You've done a good job with it. Know when to stop and say - 'that's good enough'. Otherwise you could drive yourself mad with it.

Real Name
    Tommy

I agree, it's certainly not obvious at all, and I could have stared at it for a long time without noticing it.

So I guess you 'succeeded'!

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Now I am totally confused! (not unusual I have to say) or am I being dim?. Tommy - where did your version come from?

You were right in a way I did have to deal with the sky. To show you what I have done I have posted the original image as it came out of the camera below.

Donald - Your adjustment is just terrific - all I have to do now is translate GIMP into CS4. Thanks indeed. Not sure what you meant by the "shoulder" down the right edge.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Not sure what you meant by the "shoulder" down the right edge.
    Scrub that comment. Have just looked at the area on your original and you've done a super job.

What I was looking at was the right hand edge of the leaves/branches at the right hand side of the image. At just about the '13 minutes past the hour' position, there's a sort of straight edge. But that's not your cloning. It's there on the original.

And I'm confused too. Where's the house that's in Tommy's copy, gone? Maybe that tree on the right has grown and the angle that you're at is just enough to hide the house.

Real Name
    Tommy

Now I am totally confused! (not unusual I have to say) or am I being dim?. Tommy - where did your version come from?
    I just Googled it. Having seen your original you've done a great job with the sky!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    And I'm confused too. Where's the house that's in Tommy's copy, gone? Maybe that tree on the right has grown and the angle that you're at is just enough to hide the house.
    I think you're right there Donald. if you look at my Googled version you'll see that whoever took it was much more elevated than Chris anyways. I think that 'shoulder' you were referring to is the right-hand edge of the gable of that house.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

I have got the "shoulder" now thanks and think Tommy is right about the gable.

I took my shot from a boat in the middle of the thames, whereas I think the Google shot is taken from the garden of the Compleat Angler Hotel.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Real Name
    John Wright

A cracking job.Really attractive photo-so removed from the original.