Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Trying to be artsy - FAILURE!

Real Name
    Brian

Trying to be artsy - FAILURE!

On vacation I tried a few times to make a cool 'blurry' picture. While in this picture I think the water looks pretty cool, the rest isn't working for me. I was panning with the subject and that didn't work so well either.

Trying to be artsy - FAILURE!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Trying to be artsy - FAILURE!

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    On vacation I tried a few times to make a cool 'blurry' picture. While in this picture I think the water looks pretty cool, the rest isn't working for me. I was panning with the subject and that didn't work so well either.
    Think of it two ways, Brian. You might not get the shot you want but you learned a good lesson from it.

Real Name
    Brian

Yep

Real Name
    Chris

It's not a wall hanger image, but it is a good, fun image...short of hiding some high speed strobes in the sand and being able to do a hot flash about 1/10 of a second at the end of the shot, thus freezing the person in action, this is probably as good as you can get from the distance you were shooting.

Real Name
    Brian

Interesting thought Chris. A lower perspective would help too I think - not a lot lower, just a little. This photo was taken from the balcony of our 6th floor condo/hotel.
    Thank you for your comment.

Real Name
    John Wright

The waves do look attractive and although the whole scene result isn't what you'd hoped for it's certainly good and even inspirational to see a different approach (the helicopter ?) to these short of shots . Most slow shutter speed waves just give a 'silky' look but these are different because of the panning so I'll be keeping an eye on your photos, Brian and of course the CC that you get.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Not bad Brian, but perhaps half whatever the shutter speed was, mainly to get a bit more detail in the person, Chris's idea sounds good for that, if 'not easy'

Perhaps, if a re-shoot could be organised, you could get your model to walk in 'slow motion'?
    But whether the weather would co-operate is another matter - nice waves here.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks John. Your comments are encouraging! I was just trying to think outside the box.
    Dave - good idea on the slow mo!
    In this case the model was just some passerby on the beach one morning. I'll have to get a new model for the next attempt!