Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rust

Rust

Rust

Rust

Rust

Rust

Re: Rust

Nice study Giannis, great colours and texture. I think this kind of shooting always focuses the mind of a photographer. Seeing the interesting in the ordinary is a fundamental skill and it forces you to think hard about what makes an image successful.

Thank you Steve,

It was a fun and productive shooting. I spent nearly an hour shooting at that spot.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Great colour and texture; rusted, painted metal is a wonderful subject to explore.

Cut back your exposure somewhat as the bright points (highlights) are in danger of being over exposed. In image two they are. The right side of image one ( to the right and above the hinge) is more the sort of exposure overall you should aim for. The colour of the paint is still excellent but the texture and colour of the rust is more evident in that region of the image.

With strong lines, as in images two, three and four, when composing in camera try making them diagonal but not to the point where the diagonal cuts the picture into pieces by going from corner to corner . It is at least worth exploring different angles when shooting and composing to see what works best with the elements you have.

Great eye for colour and detail; which is more important than all this niggling technical stuff.

Thanks Trevor for the tips,

I will try to remember your suggestions next time. Using diagonals is something that didn't cross my mind at that time. With the exposure I had some problems and the pics above were processed to deal with it. I couldn't do better than that. I should have corrected it in camera.

Real Name
    Keith

I love the patterns that rust makes so these really push my buttons.

Hi Giannis

I liked the patterns too, especially in 3.

Nihia

Thank you Keith and Nihia.