Thread: concert photography

Real Name
    Don B.

concert photography

Just wondering if there are anybody here into concert photography.If so is the nifty fifty 1.4 and 85mm lens a good lens for this type of photography And has anyone used the canon 60D for low light photography.The reason i am asking i am getting into concert photography i have ordered the canon 60D.i Will be doing small to med clubs and bars where a flash is not used to often many times only the first 1 or to songs are aloud.so i do know fast shutter speeds are best and high iso as well is there any way to keep iso to 800 or under without higher iso settings.
    Peace Don

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: concert photography

Hello, Don. Check this guy's website. You'll learn a lot from him since he does this type of photography for a living: http://ishootshows.com/ He also has a lot of tips on what lenses to buy and why. Hope this helps. By the way, you can also help us out by adding your first name to your profile so we can address you properly. Thanks.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Willie

You're a mine of information. Don't know how you gather all this information (maybe it's the music connection), but it's brilliant that you do.

Real Name
    Don B.

Sorry guys i added my first name to my profile.Peace Don And i have done alot of concert photography but with other lens i was woundreing if the 50 1.4mm and 85mm would be good lens to add to my bag i have done alot with 70-300mm tamron and canon 28-90mm. and have belive it or not have done pretty good.Just want to add some moore interest with moore lens i WOULD love to get 70-200 2.8 but cant quite aford that right now.Peace Don B

Real Name
    Don B.

Also jiro thanks for the information.Also thanks for the kind words MacKenzie.

Real Name
    Don B.

Mackenzie music is my second love i have toured with a few national acts and know alot of people and many freinds i used to be a guitar tec and started taking up photography its great fun and i will be touring again soon. I dont know as much as some but i belive in learning somthing new everyday and like my Dad told me NEVER pass up the chance to learn.Peace Don B. P&S look forward to hearing from ya moore as will as everone els on this site again Peace Don B.

Real Name
    Ian

Absolutely love the challenge of concerts/festivals mainly because there is always loads going on and getting the exposure right takes you right back to basics in many cases. I tend to use either a f2.8 105mm or f2.8 70-200 both with VR/IS. A lot depends on the venue, if it is dark and small, then the f1.4 comes out, but with good lighting using that kind of lens in my view is not essential. But whatever you do choose, you dont want to be swapping mid-concert so unless you are using twin bodies, maybe the zoom adds more flexibility.

Finally, unless you have the opportunity to be in the press pit, (or in one case getting up onto lighting walks) getting good shots is going to be difficult. Thats where your contacts come in!

Real Name
    Don B.

Hi shreds
    With my contacts i am able to be back stage and on side stage.But there are times i like to go in front of stage at a concerts as well i to love the challenges its alot of fun and keeps you on your toes.I do have 2 bodys the one is retired and i am looking at the canon 60D i have the nifty fity 1.4 and its a great lens for small clubs with little light i am also looking at the 85mm 1.8 as well i think that would be a nice addto my bag i am without a dough getting 70-200 2.8 is all canon as you can see i am a canon man i think there the best.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Don, The Canon 85mm f1.8, is a cracking lens, both this and a 50mm f1.4 will serve you well. Depending on how big the clubs/ bars/ venues are, you may find the 85mm a bit restrictive, in small venues.

Real Name
    Don B.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODYR View Post
    Hi Don, The Canon 85mm f1.8, is a cracking lens, both this and a 50mm f1.4 will serve you well. Depending on how big the clubs/ bars/ venues are, you may find the 85mm a bit restrictive, in small venues.

Real Name
    Don B.

Thanks for the info on lens for small venuses i use the 50 f 1.4 for small bars & clubs and 85 f 1.8 for med clubs and venues . Besides the 50f1.4 for the smaller clubs and bars do you know of another lens that would be a good one other then the 50f 1.4.
    Thanks woodyr Peace Don

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Don, You could also consider a 35mm lens, which would be a true 50mm equivalent to an SLR lens

Real Name
    Niall

I attended a Music Photography workshop earlier this year, and the tutor - Carrie Davenport (http://www.carriedavenport.com) - was singing the praises of the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 lens for gig photography.

Although she does tend to have stage-side access, and probably wouldn't need a longer lens.

Real Name
    Don B.

Nial
    Thanks for the information on the 24-70 2.8 lens my freinds have just told me about that lens they have used it and seam to realy like it as will i am putting one in my bag soon.
    Again Thanks Peace Don

Real Name
    Richard

I sold my 24-70L to a fellow camera club photographer who loves it for night club and concert photography.

Real Name
    Don B.

Thanks Richard for the information on the 24-70mmL lens i will rent on befor i buy one .If you dont mind me asking why did you sell yours.

Real Name
    Richard

I purchased my 24-70L for my 1.6x cameras before the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens was introduced. When I carried the 24-70L for general and walk-around photography, I usually needed to carry a wider lens since the 38.4mm equivalent was not quite wide enough for a 1.6x general purpose lens. As time went by, I found that due to the need for a wider lens when walking-around; I more and more kept the 24-70L for studio use and used my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens outdoors.

Since, I no longer make money with my photography, having both these lenses in my collection was not economically sound. Additionally, I was craving a 7D camera and was offered enough for the 24-70L to pay for a 7D through the Canon Loyalty Program; I sold the 24-70L and purchased the 7D. Actually I got more for the 24-70L than I paid for it when I purchased it used quite a few years ago.

Aside from the fact that 24mm was not quite wide enough for my 1.6x cameras, the only other complaint I had about the "brick" was the weight. The image quality and the focus was terrific. My 24-70L was a great lens but, my 17-55mm is also a great lens.

Real Name
    Don B.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I purchased my 24-70L for my 1.6x cameras before the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens was introduced. When I carried the 24-70L for general and walk-around photography, I usually needed to carry a wider lens since the 38.4mm equivalent was not quite wide enough for a 1.6x general purpose lens. As time went by, I found that due to the need for a wider lens when walking-around; I more and more kept the 24-70L for studio use and used my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens outdoors.

Since, I no longer make money with my photography, having both these lenses in my collection was not economically sound. Additionally, I was craving a 7D camera and was offered enough for the 24-70L to pay for a 7D through the Canon Loyalty Program; I sold the 24-70L and purchased the 7D. Actually I got more for the 24-70L than I paid for it when I purchased it used quite a few years ago.

Aside from the fact that 24mm was not quite wide enough for my 1.6x cameras, the only other complaint I had about the "brick" was the weight. The image quality and the focus was terrific. My 24-70L was a great lens but, my 17-55mm is also a great lens.

Real Name
    Don B.

Thanks for the reply i just wondered because i was told 24-70 was a realy good lens for concert photography whitch is what i do the most of i also do landscape&wildlife and love it as will i have 100-200-300500&600mm lens for that among others for macro .I love photography i find its a great stress releaver for me plus i make some money as will .Thanks again
    Peace Don B.